Technical Documents, Performance and Test Standards
GSA develops technical documents to describe the essential characteristics and expected performance of products purchased for government use. Technical documents take different forms depending upon the product and types of information included in the document. Documents developed to support purchases of furniture and furnishings include:
- Purchase descriptions;
- Commercial item descriptions;
- Federal specifications;
- Federal standards; and
- Qualified products lists.
GSA also uses industry and other nongovernmental standards when available and suitable for the items being acquired. GSA works with standards developing organizations to ensure standards reflect government needs and avoid unnecessary development of government standards.
The standards developed by GSA are available for download and use by industry and customer agencies. Standards developed by industry or other organizations are available from the developing organization. Contact information for acquiring industry standards is provided on the organization pages as a convenience for industry and customers. Standards organizations referenced include:
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI);
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) ;
- Business and Institutional Furniture Manufacturers Association (BIFMA);
- Electrostatic Discharge Association (ESDA);
- Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers Association (KCMA);
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA);
- State of California; and
- Underwriters Laboratories (UL).