Federal Strategic Sourcing Initiative (FSSI)
Strategic sourcing is the structured and collaborative process of critically analyzing an organization’s spending patterns to better leverage its purchasing power, reduce cost and improve overall performance. The primary goals of FSSI are:
- Strategically source across federal agencies;
- Establish mechanisms to increase total cost savings, value, and socioeconomic participation;
- Collaborate with industry to develop optimal solutions;
- Share best practices; and,
- Create a strategic sourcing community of practice.
Federal government purchasing is decentralized, and there are duplicative contracts over many organizational components. There is limited procurement; i.e., the number of contracts, the prices paid on the contracts, or other existing governmentwide or agency-wide solutions. This results in significant price variations across the government for the same products or services, sometimes with the same contractor.
FSSI has been implementing strategic sourcing solutions for the government since 2005. FSSI has proven results that include cost savings, improved management visibility and adoption of industry and government agencies best practices. FSSI has helped improve government management of commonly purchased goods and services.
FSSI solutions provide easy access to its procurement vehicles, which offer business intelligence, best practice solutions, and greater discounts with volume increases. Additional benefits include:
- Fulfills OMB's requirement for cross-government FSSI participation;
- Assists with socioeconomic goals;
- Collects and analyzes data;
- Identifies trends;
- Re-engineers business processes;
- Replicates cost-saving business processes;
- Shares lessons learned and best practices;
- Realizes cost efficiencies;
- Streamlines procurement process; and,
- Drives additional discounts.
Current FSSI commodity solutions include:
- Express and Ground Domestic Delivery Services (FSSI DDS2);
- Office Supplies (FSSI OS2);
- Print Management (FSSI PM); and,
- Wireless Telecommunications Expense Management Services (FSSI TEMS).
FSSI commodity solutions coming soon:
- Wireless (FSSI Wireless);
- SmartBUY (FSSI SB 2.0); and,
- Information Resources (FSSI IR)*.
* The Library of Congress is the executive agent for this FSSI solution.