Skip to main content
This is archived information. It may contain outdated contact names, telephone numbers, Web links, or other information. For up-to-date information visit GSA.gov pages by topic or contact our Office of Public Affairs at media@gsa.gov. For a list of public affairs officers by beat, visit the GSA Newsroom.

Senate Confirms Ohio Business Executive as GSA Administrator

GSA # 9825

May 25, 2001
Contact: Viki Reath (202) 501-1231
viki.reath@gsa.gov

Washington, D.C. -- The U.S. Senate yesterday confirmed President George W. Bush's nomination of Stephen A. Perry, a former Ohio senior business executive, as Administrator of the General Services Administration (GSA). Mr. Perry will take the oath of office on Thursday, with a formal ceremony to follow in June.

"One of the top objectives of my Administration is to have people with strong general management and leadership skills in senior management positions of federal agencies in order to significantly improve government services for all Americans," President Bush said. "My appointment of Mr. Perry represents a key part of meeting that objective, because he brings a proven record of success and extensive experience in the general management of large, complex organizations, with a variety of duties and responsibilities, and that background is right on the mark of what is required at GSA."

Mr. Perry 55, of Canton, said he is gratified by the Presidential appointment.

"It certainly is an honor for me to be appointed by President Bush to be a part of his Administration as Administrator of GSA," said Mr. Perry. "I recognize the critically important responsibilities of this agency in providing good government, and I am delighted to have the opportunity to be involved in public service at this level. I look forward to joining the team in pursuit of high performance and continuous improvement."

Mr. Perry retired March 31 as senior vice president- human resources, purchasing and communications, at The Timken Co. His retirement marked the conclusion of his 37-year career at the Canton company, a leading international manufacturer of highly engineered bearings and alloy steels, with annual sales of $2.6 billion and 20,500 workers.

Mr. Perry began his Timken career in 1963, progressing from an initial position as stockroom clerk to various accounting positions, and eventually became Director of Accounting, then Director of Purchasing and Senior Vice President. In 1991, then Ohio Governor, now U.S. Sen. George V. Voinovich, appointed Mr. Perry to his cabinet as Director of the Department of Administrative Services, which provides state services that are similar to those GSA provides to federal agencies. After his success in state government, Mr. Perry returned to Timken in 1993, when the Board of Directors elected him an officer of the company, naming him Vice President - human resources, purchasing and communications. In 1997, he was promoted to Senior Vice President.

Mr. Perry's recent involvement with professional organizations includes the Manufacturers Alliance for Productivity and Innovation, the National Association of Manufacturers and the Labor Policy Association. Additionally, he has been an active volunteer in community and civic activities, including serving on the Ohio Board of Regents, which oversees Ohio's institutions of higher education and the Board of Trustees of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

A 1963 graduate of Timken High School in Canton, Mr. Perry earned his Bachelor's Degree in Accounting from the University of Akron in Ohio, attended the University of Michigan Executive Development program, and earned a Master's Degree in Management from Stanford University in California.

Mr. Perry and his wife, Sondra, will be relocating to the Washington, D.C., area. They have five adult children and six grandchildren.

GSA is the executive management agency responsible for providing workspace for 1 million federal workers and procurement services to assist agencies in acquiring the products and services they need to accomplish their missions. When he assumes his post as GSA Administrator, Mr. Perry will oversee the agency's 14,000 workers and its $15.5 billion annual operating budget. Sales of GSA products and services generate 99 percent of its operating budget. Congress appropriates the remaining 1 percent. The Federal Property and Administrative Services Act created GSA in 1949 to improve efficiency in government.