Construction Excellence Features
- Select delivery system appropriate for the project.
- Identify the funding amount and schedule required for the project and delivery system selected.
- Define project scope with the client.
- Prepare initial "Occupancy Agreement" reflecting the project goals, requirements etc., and document the last date for no cost design changes by the agency.
- Prepare "Project Management Plan" with schedule and budget requirements.
- Performing a PDRI (Project Definition Rating Index) with project team to identify level of understanding of project.
- Manage the design to ensure the project remains within the established budget.
- Simplify design utilizing performance requirements for such items as curtain walls.
- Select the web based project management system.
- Utilize the "Consolidated Professional Services" contracts for programming space planning, constructability, building code compliance, accessibility reviews, estimating etc.
- Utilize construction expertise for constructability reviews and budget control.
- Prepare separate independent estimates to compare with the Architect/Engineer (A/E) estimates to ensure the design stays within the budget at approximately the 30, 60 and 95 percent stages of design.
- Provide design briefing at each design submission to the customer agency to ensure their understanding of the design.
- Update the "Occupancy Agreement" to reflect revisions to the original agreement and new decisions.
- Prepare Preliminary Commissioning Plan.
- Provide Performance Evaluations of AE and Construction Manager (CM).
- Manage the construction to ensure the project remains within the established budget.
- Utilize past performance system in selection of the construction contractor.
- Conduct "Partnering Session" with the construction, design, customer and GSA personnel.
- Process "Requests for Information" and answer contractor inquires in a timely manner utilizing web based project management.
- Process contractor payments in a timely manner.
- Perform informal monthly evaluations of A/E, CM and construction contractor.
- Perform "Construction Peer Review" at 15 and 60 percent for all large or special projects.
- Utilize "Partnering" and "Alternate Dispute Resolution" to resolve disputes.
- Perform "walk through" inspections with the customer agency on a regular basis to ensure they understand the space being provided and status of the work.
- Prepare construction contractor "Performance Evaluations" at the intervals required during construction.
- Perform ninety-percent review of the construction project to evaluate the success of the project and prepare "Lessons Learned" on the project.
- Prepare final "Performance Evaluation" of the construction contractor.
- Implement Commissioning Plan.
- Recognition award program for Construction Excellence by construction contractors.
- GSA involvement with the Construction Industry Institute and other groups performing research into better ways to deliver construction projects.
- GSA training program and support for project manager certification.
- Maintain "Partnering" relationships with the Association of General Contractors, American Institute of Architects, Project Management Institute, Construction Management Association of America and other organizations involved in building construction.