COOP Continuity Facilities
The Office of Mission Assurance can help GSA customers locate and develop Continuity of Operations Plans (COOP) and alternate facilities. The term “continuity facilities” is comprehensive, referring to both alternate and devolution sites where essential functions are continued or resumed during a continuity event. “Alternate sites” are locations, other than the primary facility, used to carry out essential functions. “Devolution sites” are locations used to carry out essential functions by devolving the essential functions to a geographically-separated facility and staff following activation of the devolution plan. These sites refer to not only other facilities and locations, but also work arrangements such as telework and mobile work concepts.
Federal agencies are required to:
- Designate alternate operating facilities as part of their COOP.
- Prepare their personnel for the possibility of relocation of essential functions, and/or contingency staffs, should an emergency necessitate that action.
- Prepare their personnel to operate remotely by arrangements such as telework and mobile work concepts.
Below is a list of options federal agencies can choose from when considering alternate site locations.
- Regional or field offices.
- Telecommuting locations.
- Shared facilities, as outlined in Federal Continuity Directive (FCD) 1.
- Co-locate with another agency. Establish an Memorandum of Understanding to utilize another agency's available space.
- An agency can request GSA to assign federally owned or leased space.
- Agencies with the authority may procure their own space or use other agencies' space procurement services.
- Agencies may use combinations of the above options or multiple sites either augmented by or totally supplanted by telework and mobile work solutions.
Agencies should file GSA’s Continuity Of Operations (COOP) Alternate Facility Identification/Certification SF336 (Rev. 1/2013) to report requirements to GSA. Requirements should be verified annually.
FOR SUBMISSIONS, QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS, PLEASE CONTACT GSA'S OFFICE OF OFFICE OF MISSION ASSURANCE AT (202) 501-0012.