Carl Albert Federal Building and Courthouse
The Carl Albert Federal Building, located at 301 East Carl Albert Parkway in McAlester, Oklahoma, serves as a federal courthouse, government offices, landmark for downtown McAlester and a beautiful destination for visitors.
Tenants with any facility related questions, concerns or requests, should contact GSA's Oklahoma/New Mexico Service Center, using the contact information provided on the upper right.
The Carl Albert Federal Building opened on December 30, 1914. It was completed at a cost of $160,000 and it served as a post office, federal courthouse, and office for the U.S. Marshals, Bureau of Animal Industry, and District Indian Agent. This wonderfully executed classical revival style building was named after Carl F. Albert, in honor of the 46th Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives and a native of the region.
One of the building's most dominant features is its central two-story loggia, defined by four monumental Corinthian columns that extend like giants above the arched openings of the main entry. French doors and casement windows open onto the loggia from the courtroom. These openings originally provided the courtroom with a source of cooling breezes during the hot summer months. Learn more historical information about this building, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.