Cesar E. Chavez Memorial Building
1244 Speer Boulevard
Denver, CO 80204
Agency tenants with facility related questions or concerns should contact the GSA Property Management Office at (303) 844-0923.
The César E. Chávez Memorial Building is a ten-story, 180,000 square foot facility that serves as a gateway building into Denver’s Civic and Justice Center and the Golden Triangle Neighborhood. The building was originally constructed in 1984 and designed by the architectural firm of Murata Outland Associates, Inc.
Building amenities include:
- Conference rooms
- Fitness center
- Avenue C: A self checkout vending market for good food on-the-go
- Daycare center - Colonnade Child Care, 303-844-2428, childcarepartners.net
This building underwent a major renovation during 2009-2012. GSA awarded the contract to design-build partner GE Johnson Construction and design-build contractor and architect on record, Tryba Architects. The efforts resulted in transforming the once overlooked federal building into a state-of-the-art, high-performing green building.The building achieved Gold certification under LEED® gold certification.
Building improvements and sustainable design strategies included:
- Building envelope designed for 75 year lifespan
- High efficiency glazing, south elevation includes solar fins to maximize natural daylight and deflect solar gain
- Controlled natural light with custom curtain wall mullions and sun shades
- Use of locally available materials, such as Yule marble, recycled steel; and terrazzo made from 50% recycled beer bottles from local breweries (Eighty-three percent of construction waste diverted from landfills)
- A combination of water saving strategies will net a 32% reduction in water use
- Consolidated mechanical and HVAC systems are expected to save 30 percent of energy costs in comparison to past usage.
- Updated light system, high efficiency Super T8 lighting with daylight harvesting and occupancy sensors for improved energy savings
- Complete elevator modernization, high efficiency Otis Generation 2 elevators with monitor informational display.
More than 400 employees from seven federal agencies occupy this facility. These agencies provide extensive services to the surrounding community as well as other city, county, state and national communities.