Major General Emmett J. Bean Federal Center
8899 E. Fifty-Sixth St.
Indianapolis, IN 46249
The Major General Emmett J. Bean Federal Center, commonly referred to as Building One, is located in the northeast Indianapolis area (Lawrence, Ind.), just a short distance outside the I-465 ring. This extraordinary structure is comprised of 1.6 million square feet of federal space on 52 acres of picturesque terrain, featuring newly renovated landscaping.
Originally known as the Fort Harrison Finance Center and part of the Fort Benjamin Harrison Military Base, the facility was acquired by GSA in 1995. The Bean Federal Center completed an extensive project in 2003 to modernize the building's office space to current industry standards.
The latest (2011) GSA Tenant Satisfaction Survey resulted in an 81% more than satisfied rating (four or five on a five-point scale) with the facility and GSA services.
Property Manager: Todd Reeder
Public Hours: 7 a.m.– 5 p.m. Monday through Friday (except federal holidays)
For more building information or service calls, contact the Bean Service Desk using the information in the top right box on this page. For other federal government information, call 1-800-FED-INFO.
Parking and Public Transportation Public transportation is available through IndyGo. Free parking is available on site.
Recovery Act Project Update
The Bean Federal Center installed a photovoltaic roof system as part of a Recovery Act Project completed in 2011. The solar roof system generates enough power to save $500,000 in electric utility costs annually. The picture to the right shows a rooftop view of the system, which uses strategically-placed solar panels to convert natural sunlight into safe, usable energy. (Note, the aerial picture near the top of this page predates the solar panel project.)
- Barbershop – First Floor (by appointment)
- Beanery Coffee Shop – First Floor (6 a.m.– 2:30 p.m.)
- Cafeteria – First Floor (breakfast 6–9:30 a.m., lunch 10:30 a.m.– 1 p.m.)
- Federal Occupational Health Unit – First Floor (7:30 a.m.– 4 p.m.)
- Finance Center Federal Credit Union – North Lobby (Mon., Wed.-Fri. – , Tues. – )
- Fitness Center – Basement (open 24/7; managed by DFAS for tenant use and requires access code from DFAS Facility Manager)
- GSA Joint-Use Conference Room – First Floor
- Snack Stand – First Floor (6:30 a.m.– 4 p.m.)
- Vending Areas, Microwaves, and Seating – Floors 1-3
The Start Smart 4 Children Day Care Center, located northwest of the Bean Federal Center at 5545 Herbert Lord Drive, cares for federal employee children ages three-months to six-years. It operates 6 a.m.– 6 p.m.
The shortcut to this page is www.gsa.gov/ejb.