Greening Building Maintenance
Federal agencies can count on GSA's property management teams to oversee the daily operation and maintenance of federally owned buildings and leased space in a sustainable manner. The Rocky Mountain Region's system provides guidance to ensure GSA accomplishes program objectives and targets.
The Denver Federal Center (DFC) uses sustainable chemicals everywhere possible in maintenance activities such as: cleaning, equipment maintenance, pest control, and snow removal. One issue impacting the DFC is that the Denver-Metro Wastewater Reclamation District no longer allows molybdenum, a corrosion inhibitor, to be discharged into its system. The DFC now uses alternative chemicals to inhibit corrosion and comply with these guidelines.
Environmental Management Program
- Reduce reportable spills
- Reduce hazardous chemical use
- Limit the environmental impact
- Educate all personnel involved in the maintenance field
- Zero reportable spills in 2007
- Increase use of “green” products by 10% annually
- Customers can find and purchase environmentally preferable products on GSAAdvantage!® and GSA Global Supply. Use the ‘Advanced Search’ feature to find biobased, CPG compliant, energy efficient, energy star compliant, recycled items (other than CPG), and more.
- EPA has published Lists of Substitutes for Ozone-Depleting Substances in multiple categories including refrigeration and air conditioning, solvents cleaning, foam blowing, fire suppression and explosion protection, and aerosols.
- DoD Green Procurement Requirements - an overview of federal “green” procurement preference programs and the Executive Orders, regulations, and requirements that apply to the operations of federal facilities.
- EPA’s Comprehensive Procurement Guidelines - designate recycled content items and recommend purchasing practices for agencies using federal funds. Provides product information, supplier lists and case studies. A wealth of information is available for construction, landscaping, paperless office, paper, park and recreation, transportation, and miscellaneous products.
- Environmentally Preferable Purchasing Resource - access general purchasing information for various products and services.
- Green Seal (non-government website) - provides science-based environmental certification standards that are credible, transparent, and essential in an increasingly educated and competitive marketplace.
|Drinking Water Lead Testing||36k|
Confirm most recent version of Environmental Procedure with Robert Melvin at (303) 236-2743.