Theodore Levin U.S. Courthouse
231 West Lafayette Boulevard
Detroit, MI 48226-2700
Originally called the Detroit Federal Building & U.S. Courthouse, the Theodore Levin U.S. Courthouse is a Neo-Classical Revival building with Modernistic traits. The courthouse serves the District Court and supporting Federal agencies by providing courtrooms, chambers, and office space.
The main entrance to the Levin Courthouse is on West Lafayette Boulevard, but a ramp is available on the Fort Street side for visitors' use. The courthouse occupies the full city block bound by West Lafayette Boulevard and Fort Street on the north and south and Washington Boulevard and Shelby Street on the east and west.
The Levin Courthouse features 629,000 square feet of rentable space and has received its fourth ENERGY STAR® designation. In 2011, the courthouse also earned The Outstanding Building of the Year (TOBY) international award in the Historical Building category from the Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA).
Property Manager: Laura Marble
For building services and information, contact the Levin Service Desk at (313) 226-2547.
Building Hours and Access The building is open to the public Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. (except Federal holidays). All visitors must submit to security screening and present a valid identity card, such as a state driver's license or Federal ID, before entering the building. Cell phones, cameras, and recording devices are prohibited.
Parking and Public Transportation The Detroit People Mover's Michigan Ave. and Fort/Cass stations are a block away from the courthouse. Parking meters are available on the far side of Fort Street, but street parking is prohibited next to the courthouse on all sides. Numerous parking lots and structures in the area offer public parking for $8 to $10 per day.
- Snack Shop – first floor, main hall; hours of operation 7 a.m.- 4 p.m.
- ATM – first floor near the Fort St. entrance.
- Business Center – UPS, FedEx, and USPS drop-boxes are located on the first floor.
- Vending – fifth floor.
History and Architectural Features Construction began on the Detroit Federal Building & U.S. Courthouse in April 1932 and was completed in March 1934. The lobby has a central walkway and domed ceiling with original intricate hand painting. All halls have marble floors, and all public restrooms are wheelchair accessible.
There are 24 courtrooms, six of which are historic. One, known as the "Million Dollar Courtroom" due to its original cost in the 1890s, was painstakingly disassembled when the original courthouse was demolished and then reassembled in the current building, where it is still in use today.
The building also features several ornamental bas-relief sculptural groupings created by noted Detroit architectural modeler Corrado Joseph Parducci. Parducci designed the sculptural panels and medallions to depict various agencies and activities of the federal government at the time.
On May 1, 1995, the courthouse was designated the Theodore Levin United States Courthouse. Appointed to the Federal bench in 1946 by President Harry Truman, Theodore Levin served on the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan until his death in 1970. From 1959 to 1967, he was the Chief Judge of that court. His nephews are Sen. Carl Levin (MI) and Rep. Sander Levin (MI).
The shortcut for this page is www.gsa.gov/levincrths.