Federal agency clients in the Washington, DC area can count on GSA to provide switchgear services to government owned buildings. The Switchgear Shop maintains high and low voltage switchgear equipment in federally-owned and some federally-leased buildings.
Normal operating hours are Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. To accommodate clients, the shop has a mechanic on call and will schedule work at any time requested.
For more information, please contact the Special Services Division at (301) 636-1700 or SpecialServicesFeedback@gsa.gov. For emergency services clients can call (301) 763-0040.
The Switchgear Shop provides the following services:
- works closely with local electric utilities to ensure the clients' buildings have appropriate electric power, and coordinates electrical work with agency to minimize disruptions to tenants;
- performs preventive maintenance on incoming breakers, low voltage breakers, network protectors and power transformers, replacing fuses as required;
- performs preventative maintenance on low voltage systems every three years;
- performs preventive maintenance on high voltage systems annually; and
- performs annual maintenance on chillers in buildings; including the motor starter, relays and current transformer for each chiller.