Fire Alarm Services
Federal agency clients in the Washington, DC area can count on GSA for fire alarm systems in GSA managed buildings. The Fire Alarm / Fire Extinguisher Shop provides testing, repairs, preventive maintenance, training, emergency response and project support for fire alarm systems and extinguishers in the National Capital Region. The shop works 24-hours a day, seven days a week to provide convenient customer service. For more information on these services, please contact the Special Services Division, using the contact information provided at the upper right hand side of this page.
The shop's role is critical in the investigation of fire alarm activation, responding to the problem and ensuring the building is safe for its occupants. Technicians work closely with GSA's Fire Safety Branch, building managers, project managers, Department of Homeland Security's Mega Center staff, local fire departments and contractors to solve problems and keep buildings' alarm systems functioning properly.
Agencies are provided with these services:
- Conducting annual fire drills in buildings and monthly drills in childcare centers;
- Securing and monitoring fire alarm systems during special events (Presidential visits, Inaugural balls, etc.);
- Providing instruction on system operation for building safety and building management personnel;
- Assisting in performance of acceptance tests of new fire alarm systems;
- Coordinating with project management staff for installations of new systems;
- Securing smoke detection equipment during construction work that may activate the fire alarm system;
- Securing sprinkler systems during repair and renovation projects; and
- Providing preventive maintenance on sprinkler flows, pressure switches, warden phones, backup batteries, fire alarm devices and elevator recalls.