GSA 508 Technical Tools and Resources
Free Testing Tools for 508 Compliance
Listed below are Section 508 testing tools available from nongovernment websites.
- HiSoftware Cynthia Says Portal - is a web content accessibility validation solution. It is designed to identify errors in your content related to Section 508 standards and/or the WCAG guidelines.
- Wave v 4.0 - a free web accessibility evaluation tool provided by WebAIM.
- FireEyes - a free tool for testing websites for 508 compliance.
- Tenon's free checker - a free tool to test your site's accessibility.
Government 508 Compliance Resources and Information
- Section508.gov - Get training, find events, and information on 508 law, agency coordinators and frequently asked questions. An intra-agency website mandated by the Department of Justice, and managed by GSA's Office of Governmentwide Policy (OGP).
- Section 508 Coordinators - find the Section 508 contact by agency.
- The Buy Accessible Wizard – identify electronic and information technology (EIT) products and services that are Section 508 compliant.
- U.S. Access Board - get the full law, helpful overviews and learn about the development of the law.
- The Federal Communications Commission Disabilities Rights Office - promotes accessibility in regard to telecommunications equipment by assisting disabled individuals and organizations within the private and public sectors on the required standards.
- Section 255 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 - learn how the Federal Communications Commission's Telecommunications Act promotes accessibility.
- Department of Education - National Institute of Disability and Rehabilitation Research.
- The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Section 508 - guidance regarding the provision of accommodations and forms for use in meeting accommodation needs.
- Usability.Gov: A Resource for Designing Usable, Useful and Accessible Interfaces - this resource helps users make web sites easier to use, and include accessible web design guidelines.
- The Department of Justice Section 508 page - This page outlines the law, displays the survey materials the Department is using to assess its level of Section 508 compliance, provides a copy of Janet Reno's comments on Section 508 at FOSE 2000, and links to a report with a significant connection to Section 508, entitled, "Information Technology and People with Disabilities: The Current State of Federal Accessibility
- Americans with Disabilities Act - revisions to the law and view of the ADA from a personal perspective.
- Department of Labor - Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP) - Formerly known as the President's Committee on Employment for People with Disabilities, the ODEP works to increase and improve employment for individuals with disabilities. This office educates, trains, supports and informs the disability community, employers and the United States government on all aspects of the area of disability and employment.
- National Council on Disability (NCD) - promotes policies, programs, practices and procedures that guarantee equal opportunity for all individuals with disabilities, regardless of the nature or severity of the disability; and to empower individuals with disabilities to achieve economic self-sufficiency, independent living and inclusion and integration into all aspects of society.
- The White House - disability-related news and policy.
- More federal agency links - to Section 508 related policy, guidance and best practices.