Historic Preservation - Technical Procedures
Selected Reading On Lath And Plaster
Preservation Technology Source Book
Lath & Plaster
Selected Reading On Lath And Plaster
SELECTED READING ON LATH AND PLASTER
This standard includes a listing of some known sources that may be
referenced for additional information on specific issues relating
to this subject.
- Bock, Gordon. "Restoring a Ceiling; Traditional Techniques
for Three-Coat Plaster and Moldings." The Old-House
Journal, September/October 1990, pp. 50-55.
- Bucher, Wm. Ward. "(The) Crack Detective, Part I: Beginning
the Investigation." The Old-House Journal, May 1981, pp.
- Flaharty, David. "Preserving Historic Ornamental Plaster."
Preservation Briefs #23. Washington, D.C.: U.S.
Department of the Interior, 1990.
- Garrison, John M. "Decorative Plaster: Running Cornices."
The Old-House Journal, December 1984, pp. 213-219.
- ________. "Running Plaster Mouldings; Bench Work From Mixing
to Mounting." The Old-House Journal, August/September
1984, pp. 136-141.
- Gozdan, Walt. "Latex Paint, Understanding the Advantages."
The Old-House Journal, May/June 1991, pp. 30-31.
- Grimmer, Anne. "(The) Preservation and Repair of Historic
Stucco." Preservation Briefs #22. Washington, D.C.:
U.S. Department of the Interior, 1990.
- Jowers, Walter. "Three-Coat Plaster Patching." The Old-House
Journal, July/August 1986, pp. 285-289.
- ________. "How to Repair Stucco." The Old-House Journal, May
1985, pp. 80-83.
- Labine, Clem. "Patching Cracks in Plaster." The Old-House
Journal, July 1977, pp. 80-81.
- Leeke, John. "Saving Irreplaceable Plaster." The Old-House
Journal, November/December 1987, pp. 51-55.
- MacDonald, Marylee. "Repairing Historic Flat Plaster Walls
and Ceilings." Preservation Briefs #21. Washington,
D.C.: U.S. Department of the Interior, 1989.
- Milner, John D. "The Use of Stucco and the Preservation of
Mortar, Plaster/Stucco and Concrete." Preservation and
Conservation: Principles and Practices. Proceedings of
the North American International Regional Conference,
1972. Washington, D.C.: The Preservation Press, 1976,
- Minnery, Catherine & Donald. "Repairing Stucco." The Old-
House Journal, July 1979, pp. 73, 77-79.
- O'Donnell, Bill. "Unwanted Texture Finish; How to Get Rid Of
It." The Old-House Journal, October 1986, pp. 374-377.
- Phillips, Morgan W. "Adhesives for the Reattachment of Loose
Plaster." APT Bulletin, Vol. XII, No. 2, 1980, pp. 37-
- Poore, Patricia. "(The) Basics of Plaster Repair." The Old-
House Journal, March/April 1988, pp. 29-33.
- Poore, Patricia & Jonathan. "What's Behind Sagging Plaster."
The Old-House Journal, January/February 1983, pp. 24-25.
- Poore, Jonathan. "My Old-House Discovery: The Screw Gun."
The Old-House Journal, January/February 1985, pp. 6-7.
- Technical Staff, OHJ. "(A) Plastering Glossary." The Old-
House Journal, March/April 1988, pp. 34-35.
- Belle, John, John R. Hoke, and Stephen A. Kliment, eds.
Traditional Details for Building Restoration, Renovation,
and Rehabilitation; From the 1932-1951 Editions of
"Architectural Graphic Standards". New York: John Wiley
& Sons, Inc., 1991.
- Branden, F. Van Den, and Thomas L. Hartsell. Plastering
Skills. Homewood: American Technical Publishers, Inc.,
- Ashurst, John & Nicola. Practical Building Conservation.
Vol. 3: Mortars, Plasters & Renders. New York: Halsted
- Shivers, Natalie W. Walls & Molding: How To Care For Old and
Historic Wood and Plaster. Washington, D.C.: The
Preservation Press, 1990.
- Weaver, Martin E., with F. G. Matero. Conserving Buildings:
Guide to Techniques and Materials. New York: John Wiley
& Sons, Inc., 1993.
- Bleekman, III, George M., et. al. "Twentieth Century Building
Materials: 1900-1950: An Annotated Bibliography."
Washington, D.C.: Preservation Assistance Division,
National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior;
and, Murfreesboro, TN: Middle Tennessee State
END OF SECTION