Winder Building

Winder Building
Closed to the public.


600 17th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001



Named after its builder, William H. Winder, the Winder building was Washington’s first ‘skyscraper’ when it opened for business in 1848. The government purchased the building in 1854. Originally designed as office space for the U.S. Army and Navy, the building has housed a variety of government tenants over the years, including a military arms museum. The Winder Building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1969 and currently houses the Office of the United States Trade Representative. 

Last Reviewed 2016-06-30