James M. Ashley & Thomas W. L. Ashley U.S. Courthouse
1716 Spielbusch Ave.
Toledo, OH 43604
View map [non-government website]
The James M. Ashley and Thomas W. L. Ashley U.S. Courthouse, located at the north end of Toledo’s Civic Mall, was named after James Mitchell Ashley and his great-grandson Thomas W. L. "Lud" Ashley in 2008. James authored the U.S. Constitution's 13th Amendment, abolishing slavery, and Lud was a key figure in delivering comprehensive energy legislation in 1977.
Property Manager: Brenda Peare
For service calls or other building information, use contacts at top right. For other federal government information, call 1-800-FED-INFO.
Public Parking and Transportation
The courthouse has limited on-site parking, but there is parking available in the vicinity and access to the Toledo Area Regional Transit Authority [non-government website].
The main tenants of the building are the U.S. District and Bankruptcy courts, the U.S. Marshals Service, and the Federal Credit Union. In the latest (2015) Tenant Satisfaction Survey, 60% rated the courthouse and GSA services four or five on a five-point scale.
History and Architectural Features
The Ashley U.S. Courthouse was designed in the Beaux Art Classicism style of architecture by Graham H. Woolfall and built in 1932. The building, applauded for its efficiency in locating all Toledo federal offices under one roof, has elements of Early Classical Revival, Greek Revival, Federal, and Georgian architecture. Virtually unchanged since its original construction, the courthouse design includes a buff-colored limestone veneer, a two-story exterior stone colonnade, and decorative public corridors and lobbies featuring terrazzo floors, marble wall veneers, bronze door frames, and decorative plaster panels.
The shortcut for this page is www.gsa.gov/ashleyct.