Chet Holifield Federal Building
24000 Avila Road
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677
View map [a nongovernment website]
The Chet Holifield Federal Building is one of Orange County’s largest and easily recognizable buildings with its unique ziggurat-style architecture. The federal building is located between Alicia Parkway and La Paz Road at the Avila Road cross street. It is also the site of a large 3,840-cell photovoltaic system that produces 914 KiloWatts of electricity annually to support building operations.
Biweekly Tenant Update
September 21, 2016
The air sampling results at the Chet Holifield Federal Building continue to indicate there is no recognized health hazard in the areas sampled at this property.
PROJECTS IN PROGRESS
• GSA contractor, J. Davis Construction, continues to remove asbestos containing materials (ACM) in the 28,227 square feet of Department of Homeland Security (DHS) - Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) space located on the southwest corner of the first floor. The contractor is currently abating the training area. The next area for ACM removal is the supply warehouse. The contractor is setting up the containment in preparation for that work. All work is being performed after building hours, under containment, with third party oversight, testing and clearances by H2 Environmental. Once the asbestos is removed, work will continue with the USCIS Refresh Project. The entire project is estimated to be completed in January 2017.
• GSA’s Remediation Contractor, Argus Contracting, has been working on ceiling tile repairs and replacements throughout the building. GSA had modified the contract to increase the number of hours required to complete this work. Scheduling this work will now continue until all work is complete.
• GSA awarded the contract for a Comprehensive Asbestos Survey and the development of an updated Operations & Maintenance (O&M) Plan for the building. This study is required to update the building ACM survey quantifying the location and condition of material in the building. This contract was awarded to environmental firm Millennium Associates. GSA is currently working with the contractor to assess the building, including all agency space. GSA will contact agency representatives to coordinate access to their space. Sampling will be performed after hours and under containment.
• GSA awarded a contract to Tectonics for the completion of an asbestos and environmental study. This study is required for the stabilization phase of the project as outlined in the “Current and Future Plans" section. The study, which is expected to be complete in November 2016, will provide planning, logistics and associated services to define the requirements for a contractor to perform removal of asbestos containing material within the first floor. GSA will contact agency representatives to coordinate access to their space as it is required. In the near future, GSA and Tectonics will be setting up meetings with those agencies with space on the first floor that will be impacted by this project. Discussions will include temporary relocations and swing space options during the phases of the project.
GSA awarded a contract to Argus Contracting for the following projects:
- Asbestos removal from the first floor ceiling deck above service elevators #5 and #6 (elevators currently out of service). Scheduled for September 19, 2016 through October 4, 2016.
- Replace return air grills in Suite 1000. Scheduled September 30, 2016 through October 2, 2016.
- Clean up of vacant area in the northeast quadrant of the first floor. Scheduled for October 5, 2016 through October 15, 2016.
- Construction of ceiling enclosures around roll-up doors on the east side loading dock. Scheduled for October 5, 2016 through October 15, 2016.
- Cleaning of two air handler rooms. Scheduled for October 15, 2016 through October 30, 2016.
- Replace return air grills in Suite 1700. Schedule to be determined.
All work will be preformed after building hours.
CURRENT AND FUTURE PLANS
Mitigate - this stage is currently in progress. The scope includes addressing the immediate concerns including clean-up, monitoring, investigation, planning, communication and removal of asbestos.
Stabilize - the scope for this stage includes focusing on asbestos removal primarily on the first floor. GSA requested funding for this stage. If the request is approved, work will begin in late 2017 and is scheduled for completion in 2020.
Resolve - the scope is for infrastructure and building systems upgrades including seismic (ensures building is in compliance with current earthquake resistant codes). ACM will be removed, or encapsulated, if removal is not feasible. GSA will request funding for this stage in 2017. If the request is approved, work will begin in 2020 and is scheduled for completion in 2024.
The Chet Holifield Federal Building web page and reading room are active. The most current and past tenant updates are available in the online reading room. The Federal Occupational Health air sampling report, dated July 22, 2016, is posted in the reading room. GSA will continue to share the latest information for access by building tenants.
All test results are available in the GSA Field Office, Suite 4100, for review.
As a reminder, agency representatives must contact GSA Building Facility Asbestos Control Manager, Samantha Shintaku at 949-360-2033 or email@example.com, prior to performing work in the building. Agencies must follow all required procedures and regulations when performing work in the building.
In order to adhere to the Asbestos Containing Materials Operation and Maintenance Plan and to ensure the safety of the building tenants, all agencies must coordinate through and consult with GSA prior to performing any additional environmental testing in tenant controlled space. However, no further testing or investigation is allowed above the ceiling anywhere in the building unless authorized by GSA in writing. Ceiling tiles are not to be opened, removed or moved in any manner in order to prevent disturbing potential ACM above the ceiling. Please ensure all employees are informed of this policy.
Notify the GSA Field Office at 949-360-2022 immediately if there are any concerns regarding work in the building or access above the ceiling system.