Design of the renaissance revival style post office and U.S. Courthouse began in 1915 under the direction of architect of the treasury, James A. Wetmore. Construction began in 1916 with the cornerstone set in place on April 19th of that year. Upon completion in 1918 at a total project cost of $250,000 the federal building housed the United States Post Office, U.S. Courts, U.S. Attorneys, U.S. Marshals, and the Weather Bureau.
By order of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, the works project administration (WPA) was funded by congress through the emergency relief appropriation act of 1935. The WPA was the largest new deal agency creating over 8 million jobs during the great depression to carry out over $7 billion in public works projects nationwide. The grand junction post office and U.S. courthouse expansion was funded through the WPA and overseen by Louis A. Simon with a total project cost of $216,000. The building was named after congressman Wayne N. Aspinall in
1972, and was listed on the national register of historic places in 1980.
In February of 2009, President Barack Obama signed into law the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) to stimulate the economy and promote job creation in the current recession. Building projects funded by ARRA are mandated to promote sustainable design and renewable technologies. The Wayne N. Aspinall federal building & U.S. Courthouse received $15 million to preserve this historic
structure and introduce innovative systems to pursue LEED Platinum and strive to make this the first building on the national register of
historic places to achieve net zero energy.
The Federal Government requires that all agencies achieve energy independence by the year 2030. This goal
requires that buildings be designed efficiently using innovative technologies, while balancing remaining energy
needs with on-site production using renewable sources such as the wind and sun. The Wayne Aspinall Federal
Building is being designed to be the first major government building on the National Register of Historic Places to
be energy independent.