Sale of Plum Island, New York
Plum Island is an 840-acre island located approximately 1.5 miles off the northeast tip of Orient Point, Long Island, New York. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), operates the Plum Island Animal Disease Center (PIADC) on the island. Plum Island is formerly the home of the U.S. Army's Fort Terry and was transferred to the USDA in 1954 to establish a research facility for foot-and-mouth disease.
In 2003, Plum Island was transferred to DHS. PIADC is comprised of buildings, industrial facilities and equipment, roadways, utilities, specialized facilities, easements, and rights of way. Additional assets on Plum Island include natural undeveloped land, the Plum Island Lighthouse constructed in 1869, and buildings and structures associated with the former Fort Terry. DHS also owns and operates transportation assets and a 9.5-acre facility to support PIADC at Orient Point, New York which includes buildings, utilities, and ferry docking facilities.
There are three components to the Plum Island property:
(1) Plum Island
(2) Orient Point support facility and
(3) Personal Property
Plum Island is located in the Town of Southold, NY just a short ferry ride from the Orient Point facility, which is situated on the Eastern end of the North Fork of Long Island, NY.
Orient Point Support Facility The Orient Point facility, located on the tip of the North Fork of Long Island, is comprised of approximately 9.5 acres and features its own harbor facility.
Personal Property & Transportation Assets Although the extent of personal property to be included in the sale has yet to be finalized, it can be assumed that all ferries and certain vehicles presently used by the fire and safety units on the island will be included.