Maryland Federal Building Officially Listed on National Register of Historic Places
GSA is responsible for the stewardship of over 300 properties listed on the National Register of Historic Places. These properties represent the work of prominent architects and are valued for their significance in American history, architecture, art, archeology, engineering, and culture.
In April, the Maude R. Toulson Federal Building and U.S Post Office located in Salisbury, MD, was officially listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This induction came just in time for National Historic Preservation Month in May, an exciting time for GSA to highlight its efforts to preserve and protect historic buildings.
GSA’s historic preservation program provides technical and strategic expertise to promote the viability, reuse, and integrity of historic buildings GSA owns, leases, and has the opportunity to acquire. GSA is on the cutting edge in developing innovative design solutions and building investment strategies that are economical, extend the useful life of historic structures, and minimize the negative effects of changes needed to keep buildings safe, functional, and efficient.
The Maude R. Toulson Federal Building and U.S Post Office is located on East Main Street in Salisbury, MD, and was the first permanent post office erected in Salisbury after over 135 years of temporary locations. The original building completed construction in 1924 and represents an important period of growth, prosperity, and optimism in the history of Salisbury. It is perceived as a symbol of community pride and of federal presence in the city.
The Toulson Federal Building retains a high degree of integrity with only minor alterations to the exterior. The addition of side wings, a rear ell and a second story in 1936 was compatible with the original 1925 block, maintaining the integrity of the building.
The building sits atop a full, elevated, brick foundation. Red brick, laid in English bond with cast-stone trim, covers the exterior of the building. A cast-stone and brick water table, which serves as the lintels for the basement windows, rests above the foundation, and a cast-stone beltcourse, inlaid with a Greek Revival key pattern, sits below the second-story windows.
Both the Public Lobby and Postal Lobby feature large oil on canvas murals, painted in 1939 by Jacob Getlar Smith. These murals were commissioned by the Salisbury Historical Society and the federal government in order to display the regionalism and history of the area.
The Toulson Federal Building’s retention of integrity of design, materials, workmanship, location, and association results in the buildings retention of feeling as an early twentieth-century federal building erected in the Colonial Revival architectural style.