Skip to main content

Public FAQs

These are questions frequently asked by the Public. 

  • While driving my vehicle, I was involved in a crash with a GSA vehicle, what should I do?

According to the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA), individuals who are injured or whose property is damaged by the wrongful or negligent act of a federal employee acting in the scope of his or her official duties, may file a claim against the government for reimbursement for that injury or damage. 

GSA Fleet vehicles are leased to other federal agencies. GSA is not liable for the actions of the leasing agency. It is the responsibility of the agency employing the driver of the GSA Fleet vehicle to process the claim against the Government. Any claim filed, should be submitted to the agency leasing the vehicle.  



  • How do I file a claim against the federal government?

In order to file a claim, you must complete and submit a Standard Form 95, Claim for Damage, Injury, or Death to the agency leasing the vehicle from GSA. 

GSA can help you identify the agency with which you should file the claim. Please provide us with the following information on the GSA vehicle before contacting the AMC at (866) 400-0411, and select option 2: 

  • The complete tag number (GXX-XXXXX), required; 
  • The date, time, and location of the crash, required; 
  • Information on police response, if applicable; 
  • The vehicle identification number, also known as the VIN, if applicable; 
  • The vehicle’s manufacturer and model, if applicable; and
  • Photos taken at the accident to help us identify the GSA vehicle involved, if applicable. 

If GSA is able to properly identify the vehicle, we will direct you to the appropriate claims office with the responsible agency. 

The claim must be submitted within two years after the claim occurs. If, within six months after receiving a claim, the agency mails a denial of the claim to the claimant, then the claimant has six months to file suit in federal district court. No period of limitations applies to a plaintiff if the agency fails to act within six months after receiving his claim. 28 U.S.C. § 2401

back to top top

If you need additional assistance and are located in the U.S. please email

The shortcut for this page is