National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) requires federal agencies to consider the impacts that a proposed action may have on the human environment as part of their decision making process.
GSA is proposing to acquire construction-related services to complete the remaining repair and alterations at the GSA Headquarters Building, located at 1800 F Street, NW, Washington, DC (1800 F) and for adaptive use of up to three historic buildings within the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Headquarters Campus, located at the St. Elizabeths West Campus in Southeast Washington, DC. The proposed method of acquisition is through the exchange of two parcels, either by fee simple or ground lease. The two parcels are located in Southwest Washington, DC: (1) Cotton Annex Building (Parcel A) at 300 12th Street, SW, and (2) GSA ROB (Parcel B) at 301 7th Street, SW. To assess the impacts of the exchange, GSA is preparing an Environmental Assessment (EA).
Public participation is the cornerstone of the NEPA process, and throughout the development of the EA, the public will be provided a number of opportunities to provide feedback to GSA. A previous opportunity to comment on the project was provided to the public during a 30-day public scoping period, held from April 14, 2014 to May 13, 2014. A public information meeting was held on April 30, 2014, at the Southwest Public Library, providing members of the community, interested agencies, and the general public an opportunity to receive information and comment on the scope of the EA. The Draft EA addresses comments received during the public scoping period.
GSA has already completed the NEPA process for the 1800 F Modernization and for the St. Elizabeths West Campus Development projects. An EA and Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) were prepared for the 1800 F Modernization, Environmental Impact Statements (EIS) and Records of Decision (ROD) for the St. Elizabeths project. To review copies of these documents, please go to the following website links.
Draft Environmental Assessment (EA) Release August 2015
- Construction Services Acquisition for GSA and DHS Headquarters Draft EA, August 2015, Part 1
- Construction Services Acquisition for GSA and DHS Headquarters Draft EA, August 2015, Part 2
- Appendix A: Consultation and Coordination
- Appendix B: Draft Traffic Study, Part 1
- Appendix B: Draft Traffic Study, Part 2
- Appendix B: Draft Traffic Study, Part 3
- Appendix C: Draft Cultural Resources Report
- Appendix D: Cotton Annex Building Phase I Site Assessment, Part 1
- Appendix D: Cotton Annex Building Phase I Site Assessment, Part 2
- Appendix D: Cotton Annex Building Phase I Site Assessment, Part 3
- Appendix D: Cotton Annex Building Phase I Site Assessment, Part 4
- Appendix D: Cotton Annex Building Phase I Site Assessment, Part 5
- Appendix E: GSA Regional Office Building Phase I and II Environmental Site Assessments
All written comments are due by September 17, 2015, and should be sent to:
U.S. General Services Administration, Public Buildings Service
Office of Planning and Design Quality
Attention: Nia Francis
301 7th Street, SW, Room 4004
Washington, DC 20407
or e-mail email@example.com
Public Open House