GSA Seeks Stewards for Seven Lighthouses in Michigan, Wisconsin
Great Lakes Region
|May 27, 2014|
Real property disposal program saves taxpayer money, preserves the past
CHICAGO – The U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) announced it is looking for stewards of several historic lighthouses in an effort to save tax dollars while preserving the past. As part of the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act (NHLPA) program, the agency is offering five historic lighthouses in Michigan and two in Wisconsin at no cost to eligible state or local governments, non-profit corporations, historic preservation groups, or community development organizations.
"GSA has a responsibility to dispose of excess government real estate assets, including historic lighthouses,” said GSA’s Great Lakes Regional Administrator Ann P. Kalayil. “Historic lighthouses are unique in that they have sentimental and tangible value as historic landmarks in local communities. Through the preservation program, GSA helps find new stewards for lighthouses that are no longer considered mission critical to the U.S. Coast Guard.”
In Michigan, the following lighthouses are available for transfer to an approved steward:
- Gravelly Shoal Light, constructed in 1939, is on the western side of Saginaw Bay in Lake Huron. This 65-foot reinforced concrete and steel tower with white markings is situated on a crib foundation five miles offshore from Aux Gres, Mich., on the western side of Saginaw Bay in Lake Huron.
- Spectacle Reef Light, constructed in 1874, is located in Lake Huron about 11 miles east of the Straits of Mackinac. The light consists of a 95-foot conical limestone tower atop a concrete crib with 20-foot thick walls that protect the structure from the elements. A small white building is attached to the base of the tower.
- Keweenaw Waterway Lower Entrance Light was completed around 1920, and is located near the entry from Keweenaw Bay into the Portage River and Keweenaw Waterway, near the twin cities of Hancock-Houghton, Mich. The light is an octagonal tower of structural steel, about 14 feet in diameter and 30 feet high, surmounting a reinforced concrete building 28 feet square and 16 feet high, which forms the first story. It is located at the end of a U.S. Corps of Engineers breakwater pier.
- White Shoal Light, constructed in 1912, is located offshore in the western straits of Mackinac. The masonry lighthouse sits on a square concrete base and is supported by a stone filled timber crib.
- Lansing Shoal Light, constructed in 1928, is located offshore in the western straits of Mackinac. The square masonry lighthouse sits on a square concrete basement supported by a stone filled timber crib. The external lantern room is fabricated of cast iron.
In Wisconsin, the following lighthouses are available for transfer to an approved steward:
- Algoma Pierhead Light, built in 1932, marks the entrance to the Ahnapee River in Algoma, Wisc. The light consists of a 48-foot red steel plate cylindrical tower situated on a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers breakwater. Access to the light is by way of an iron catwalk.
- Milwaukee Pierhead Light, built in 1872, is located on Lake Michigan near the entrance to the Milwaukee and Kinnickinnic Rivers. The 41-foot tall light is a red steel plate conical tower situated on a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers breakwater.
In partnership with the U.S. Coast Guard and the U.S. Department of Interior National Park Service, GSA administers the federal program that conveys historic lighthouses to stewards through NHLPA. Since 2000, GSA has administered the NHLPA with its partners, the National Park Service and the United States Coast Guard. To date, 30 lighthouses in Michigan have been transferred under NHLPA. Across the country, more than 100 lighthouses have been sold or transferred out of federal ownership, with 68 transferred at no cost to preservationists, and 36 sold by auction to the public.
Organizations interested in acquiring one of the lighthouses will have 60 days to submit a letter expressing interest in the property and complete a rigorous application process. All lighthouses are offered “as-is” and “where-is,” without representation, warranty, or guarantee as to quality, quantity, title, character, condition, size or kind. If no suitable steward is identified, the lighthouses are then auctioned to the general public. Proceeds from the public sales go back into the Coast Guard’s lighthouse fund to continue preservation and maintenance of lights that are still in federal ownership.
To find out more information on these properties and how to submit a letter of interest, visit www.nps.gov/history/maritime/nhlpa/nhlpa.htm.
For more information about GSA’s Real Property Utilization and Disposal program, visit propertydisposal.gsa.gov.
The mission of GSA is to deliver best value in real estate, acquisition and technology services to government and the American people. The agency delivers this commitment through six priority areas that include: delivering better value and savings; serving our partners; expanding opportunities for small businesses; creating a more sustainable government; leading with innovation; and building a stronger GSA.