U.S. Coast Guard Child Care Subsidy Program
Notification to U.S. Coast Guard Members and Child Care Providers: To improve the quality and efficiency of our services, the U.S. General Services Administration has transitioned some of our financial operations to a financial shared service provided by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. This will include child care subsidy program administration for the U.S. Coast Guard. The transfer of program administration will be effective on October 1, 2016. The transfer is being planned to be seamless for families and child care providers, with no change in program policies or requirements and no reduction in quality of service or increase in processing time.
The GSA program application forms available on this site may be submitted to GSA through September 30, 2016. On October 1, 2016, GSA forms will no longer be available on this site and new USDA forms will be available on the USDA program website in September 2016. The USDA website will contain instructions for submitting forms.
Prior to the transition GSA will provide invoicing instructions to participating families and child care providers.
You do not need to take any action at this time. GSA will provide further updates on this site as we approach the transition date. As always, you are welcome to contact us at (866) 508-0371 with any questions or concerns you may have. For family assistance please press 1 (providers press 2) and then 2 for the U.S. Coast Guard.
The United States Coast Guard Child Care Subsidy Benefit program was created to assist U.S. Coast Guard Members who use any Federal Child Care Center, or any state Licensed Child Care Facility in the Continental U.S. (CONUS) and outside the Continental U.S. (OCONUS) which includes Child Development Centers (CDC) as well as in home Child Care Providers to provide child care for their children.
Please be advised that the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) Child Care Subsidy Program offered through the GSA is based upon the Department of Defense (DOD) fee structure that the U.S. Coast Guard and DOD CDC's have in place. Therefore, if you are using any USCG or DOD CDC you are currently paying child care rates that are comparable or equal to this program and would not qualify to receive benefits under this program.
The benefit is available to Active Duty Members and Active Duty Reservists called to action for 180 days or longer. Families may qualify for subsidy benefits in accordance with the Benefit Table based upon their Total Family Income (TFI) (Adjusted Gross Income + Annual BAS + Annual BAH II).
Eligibility to receive benefits is based upon all documents submitted to the GSA Subsidy Administration Section for review. A determination of benefits will be completed at which time the Member and their Child Care Provider will receive an email from the GSA informing them of the benefit that they may be entitled to and the effective date.
Please note that Members are financially responsible for all child care costs until they have been informed by the GSA that a U.S. Coast Guard Child Care Subsidy benefit has been approved on the Member’s behalf.
Eligibility includes the Members who meet the following criteria:
- Active duty USCG Member, or a USCG Reservist who has been called to Active Duty for 180 days or longer, and
- The parent or legal guardian of a child (or children) age 12 and younger, and
- Pay child care costs for that child (or children) to a licensed/regulated provider
- A single parent, or
- A Member with a Spouse/Partner who is working, attending school or looking for work and meets any of the following:
- Working a minimum of 20 hours per week
- Actively seeking employment
- Enrolled in school full time
- In the process of enrolling in school full time
- A combination of credit hours and labs, work study or other related studies that do not result in a credit hour or hours may qualify. (A review of the school schedule will be required to determine eligibility.)
- Any combination of work and school hours
To begin your application process:
- U.S. Coast Guard Child Care Subsidy Program Application Package [PDF - 900.38 KB]
- U.S. Coast Guard Family Handbook V 1.4 [PDF - 576.45 KB]