Keep Your Community Clean: Get Involved In Earth Day
Will you be part of the largest civic event in the world on April 22? Earth Day is celebrated simultaneously around the globe by people of all backgrounds, faiths and nationalities. More than a billion people participate in campaigns every year.
The possibilities of getting involved are endless:
- Plant a tree or maybe some wild flowers
- Install a low flow shower head or LED lights around your home
- Make nature crafts at home or at school
- Learn something new about the environment and share that knowledge
- Start recycling and reusing
- Hold a garage sale or donate unused items
- Participate in a some type of cleanup effort
- Shop locally and visit our weekly DFC farmers market starting June 11
GSA will have a few different ways that you can help celebrate and bring support for environmental programs, rekindle public commitment and build community activism around our community at the Denver Federal Center in Lakewood, Colorado, the week of April 20 including:
- Donate unneeded clothing to the DFC Clothing Drive in the lobbies of Building 25, 41, and 67 April 21-23
- Join our Leaders in Sustainability Expo Wednesday April 22 from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. - DFC Building 41, Remington Arms Room, and learn to save money by conserving water and energy and get tips on things like gardening, beekeeping, and other sustainable efforts
- Join one of our local gardening experts for his presentation: The Reluctant Suburban Farmer Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 10:30am DFC Bldg 41, Remington Arms Room
Earth Day (non-government website) launched in 1970 as a grassroots effort that has grown into a massive, global celebration. The DFC is committed to becoming one of the most sustainable campuses in the United States by the year 2020. To do this, GSA is working on a variety of projects that allow us to be more eco-friendly. You can review some of the many projects here and here. They include but are not limited to our B-Cycle shared bike program, Neighborhood Electric Vehicles, Solar, and much more. For more details about the Denver Federal Center go to www.gsa.gov/r8dfc.