GSA, San Angelo Commemorate Fisher Building's Centennial
Recent energy-smart upgrades ensure federal courthouse in central west Texas to provide taxpayer with long-term economic benefits.
Aug. 26, 2011
Deborah Ruiz, 202-253-8807
WASHINGTON – A cornerstone of the west Texas community today celebrates a centennial anniversary, marking its emergence as a center of activity for the San Angelo area by the beginning of the 20th century. Federal and local officials gathered to mark the occasion with the unveiling of a historical marker.
Earlier this year, the O.C. Fisher Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse benefited from energy-saving modernization efforts, including occupancy sensors, new lighting and updates to the energy management systems. Investments such as these provide long-term economic benefits for the nation by supporting the technology, which protects the nation’s natural resources.
“We know the Fisher Building can last,” said J.D. Salinas, regional administrator for GSA’s Greater Southwest Region. “It’s here today after a century as a testament to its resilience. Through GSA’s sustainability efforts, we’re looking to help it stay even longer. It is part of our core mission to reduce consumption and costs wherever we can by making buildings such as these energy-smart and helping people work more efficiently.”
Completed in 1911 and expanded in 1932, the Fisher Building serves as an arm of the U.S. District Court and provides other essential federal government functions. Additionally, it is among the more than 200 GSA-managed properties listed in the National Register of Historic Places, serving as a contributing feature to a collection of resources which reflect the early 20th century development of San Angelo, Texas.
The O.C. Fisher Federal Building is one of the most architecturally significant buildings in the city of San Angelo. A product of the Treasury Department’s Office of the Supervising Architect under Supervising Architect James Knox Taylor, its design, completed in 1909, is an example of the high-style Italian Renaissance Revival architecture. The building’s entry is marked by monumental steps and Roman arched doorways surmounted by ornamented Second Floor window treatments.
The three-story building is further defined by its heavily rusticated buff brick base separated from the smooth brick of the upper levels by a heavy limestone belt course. Interestingly, the building’s current size is actually double its original plan. During the 1930s, federal tenants’ needs, combined with the turbulent economic climate of the period, led to construction of a large addition. This addition closely followed the design of the 1911 structure.
For more information about GSA’s Historic Preservation program, please visit gsa.gov.
# # #
As the federal government's workplace solutions provider, the U.S. General Services Administration works to foster an effective, sustainable and transparent government for the American people. GSA’s expertise in government workplace solutions include:
• Effective management of government assets including more than 9,600 government-owned or leased
buildings and 215,000 vehicles in the federal fleet, and preservation of historic federal properties;
• Leveraging the government’s buying power through responsible acquisition of products and services
making up approximately 14 percent of the government’s total procurement dollars;
• Providing innovative technology solutions to enhance government efficiency and increase citizen
• Promoting responsible use of federal resources through development of government-wide policies
ranging from federal travel to property and management practices.