How Do I Apply
- Create a USAJOBS Account
- Find a Job Opening
- Complete an Online Application
- How to See Your Application Status
View GSA jobs by going to USAJOBS. You can search from the main USAJOBS page, or use Advanced Search to search by keyword, occupational series or job category, location, and/or agency. See the USAJOBS Search Tutorials for details.
- The USAJOBS Search feature defaults to show only vacancies open to the public. If you are want to see all vacancy announcements, select the "Jobs for Federal Employees" option on the "Refine Your Results" sidebar.
- To receive automatic email notification when vacancies are posted, refer to the How to Save a Search.
You’ve found the job you want to apply for and now it is time to apply. The online application process consists of three parts, which are outlined below.
TIP: Print out the job announcement for reference as you complete the application.
- After finding the job you want to apply for, click "Apply Online" to sign into USAJOBS. (If you’re new to USAJOBS, you will be prompted to create an account.)
- Follow the prompts to select a resume and/or other supporting documents to attach to your application.
- Click "Apply for this position Now!" This will transfer you from USAJOBS to GSAjobs to complete the application process.
If you’re new to GSAjobs, you’ll be asked to create a GSAjobs profile. If you’re already registered with GSAjobs, a "Welcome Back" message will appear.
Click "Apply to this Vacancy" to begin the application process
As part of the application, you’ll be asked a series of questions to assess your qualifications. Some of the questions may require a written response. If you are responding to essay-type questions, we highly recommend that you save your application and develop your written responses in a file on your computer. You can then return to your application before the deadline and copy and paste the prepared responses into each field.
Think of these questions as a written interview that gives you a chance to describe your education, experience, and training as they relate to the job.
On the "Vacancy Documents" page, you will be asked to submit supporting documentation. Review the "Required Documents" section of the announcement to determine which documents apply to you. You have three options for submitting your documents:
- Upload the document directly from your computer;
- Transfer from USAJOBS using the USAJOBS link; or
- Fax into GSAjobs using the fax coversheets provided in the system. Tip: Read the fax instructions to make sure that your documents transmitted correctly. If you do not receive email confirmation of a faxed document within four hours, re-fax the cover sheet and documentation.
NOTE: All application materials must be received by the closing date of the job announcement.
Respond to the question, "How did you learn about this position?"
The responses to the rest of the questions on this page are populated with the demographic information you entered in USAJOBS. If you indicated in USAJOBS that you did not want to attach demographic information, the remainder of the question responses will be blank.
If you wish to change your demographic responses, or want demographic information to be attached, you must make these changes in your USAJOBS account.
Select "Next" to continue.
During this final step, you can review your entire application prior to submission. You must click the 'Submit Application' button at the bottom of this final page to submit your application
Confirmation Page: You will receive confirmation that your application has been submitted successfully on this page. You have 3 options on this page:
- Download (we recommend you download, save, or print your entire application);
- Go to Dashboard (view the status of your applications for GSA vacancies); or
- Return to USAJOBS.
Prior to the closing date of the job announcement, you can:
- Submit an application that you previously started and saved
- Update and resubmit a previously submitted application.
To do so, return to USAJOBS. Locate the vacancy, then click "Update Application."
If you cannot complete any part of the application process listed above, contact the Human Resources Office/representative listed on the announcement prior to the announcement deadline.
How to see the Status of your Application
To check the status of your application:
- Sign into your USAJOBS account.
- Go to your Applications, located on your Home page — your active applications display automatically.
- Review your list of applications. Your applications are listed by the date they were last updated.
- The application status is highlighted next to each job application.
- Click the + to see more application details.
NOTE: You can also find and filter your applications.
- Help Center Main Page on USAJOBS
- How to Create a USAJOBS Profile
- How to Create a Resume on USAJOBS
- How to Set up Notifications on USAJOBS
- How to Check my Application Status on USAJOBS
- YouTube Video: Finding and Applying for Jobs in the Federal Government
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Federal Hiring Process