GSA Awards $23M Construction Contract to Upgrade Derby Line Port
May 9, 2016
Local Vermont Contractor to put people to work updating critical Port of Entry infrastructure
DERBY LINE, VT -- Today the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA), New England Region, announced the award of a $23 million construction contract for upgrades to the Derby Line Land Port of Entry (LPOE) to D.E.W. Construction of Burlington, Vermont. This contract will allow for the completion of necessary upgrades to the LPOE to replace the outdated facility which currently exists. The project will be designed to be both energy efficient, sustainable and will be certified as LEED Gold by the U.S. Green Building Council.
As part of GSA’s ongoing efforts to be an Economic Catalyst for communities across the country, GSA awarded this contract with the expectation of bringing in more jobs to the state of Vermont. Additionally, a more modernized, structurally sound land port entry is important for this border state, as it helps commerce and trade flow efficiently from across the border.
“Upgrading one of the key commercial ports of Vermont while strengthening our border infrastructure are important priorities,” said Robert Zarnetske, GSA Regional Administrator, New England Region. “GSA is delighted to be able to announce this long anticipated project will begin this Summer.”
About the Derby Line LPOE Project:
- The project will include a new commercial inspection building with a 2 bay commercial loading dock, cargo storage, lab space, a kennel, public counter space and CBP work areas.
- A new main port building is also planned, which will include administrative offices, processing and immigration services spaces, and a violator retention area.
- A photovoltaic solar array will be installed providing on-site renewable energy.
- A 20% reduction in water consumption and a 32% reduction in total energy usage is projected as a result of this project.
- 75% or more of all construction waste will be diverted from landfill through recycling and adaptive re use.
- The project will also incorporate new inspection booths, canopies and lane configurations.
- Additional site improvements consist of new lighting, fire protection, water service, sanitary sewer, site drainage and stormwater management systems, improvements to paving, signage, electrical service and a new access drive
- Construction will begin this Summer 2016.
- The Award Notice can be found here: Derby Line LPOE Award
About the Derby Line LPOE Facility:
- Located at Interstate 91 Derby Line, VT.
- The Derby Line LPOE was built in the 1960s.
- Occupied and operated by DHS, CBP.
- Facility is situated on approximately 4.5 Acres.
Join the conversation at @USGSA #EconomicCatalyst