GSA's FSSI Third-Generation Office Supplies (OS3) Solution Ready for Business
December 4, 2014
GAO Denies All Protests, Paving the Way for Millions in Savings on Office Supplies
Washington, D.C.-- The U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) has denied all protests filed against the award of U.S. General Services Administration’s (GSA) FSSI Office Supply Third Generation (OS3) solution. The GAO decisions lift the stay of performance on OS3 and GSA can now offer OS3 to federal agencies as a cost-saving and efficient solution for purchasing office supplies.
Federal Acquisition Service Commissioner Tom Sharpe weighs-in:
“In this critical time of reduced budgets, GSA is working diligently on strategic initiatives to include FSSI, the Common Acquisition Platform (CAP), and category management to leverage data, dollars, and good business sense in helping the government buy smarter to meet its goals. The evolution of the GSA Office Supplies FSSI solution is a great example of how the government can improve on an already great program with each iteration, increasing the savings to taxpayers through lessons learned and best practices. OS3 will help government save money while at the same time ensuring that we are maximizing small business opportunities.”
The OS3 solution provides customers with the ability to cut costs and increase efficiencies by buying everyday supplies like pens, paper, and printing items from a list of vendors with negotiated low prices. OS3 builds on the success of the FSSI Office Supply Second Generation (OS2) solution, which generated more than $370 million in direct and indirect savings since 2010, and achieved a small business utilization rate of 76 percent. OS3 is expected to deliver even more savings as well as increased opportunity for small businesses with an estimate of more than $9 in every $10 spent going to small business.
- 20 of 21 awards have gone to small businesses.
- OS3 is expected to provide more than $90 million in savings annually, captured through lower prices.
- GSA built in a strong preference for small business awards.
- OS3 is anticipated to increase the volume of spend going to small businesses including Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Businesses(SDVOSB) and a consortium of 58 small businesses as well as a HUBZone vendor.
- OS3 solution makes it easy for federal agencies to meet their sustainable acquisition goals by purchasing green products.
- Green Benefits of OS3 include: Recycled content Comprehensive Procurement Guideline (CPG), biobased (BioPreferred), and Energy Star items including copier paper, filing products, toner cartridges, battery chargers, and more.
Addendum: On December 10, 2014, GSA awarded three additional contracts in the Federal Strategic Sourcing Initiative for Office Supplies Third Generation (FSSI OS3) - Purchasing Channel, resulting in 24 contract awards supporting the acquisition, 23 of which went to small business. The awards were held in abeyance and delayed due to protests filed at the Government Accountability Office (GAO) and a subsequent performance stay. The GAO has now denied all the OS3 protests.
GSA is currently working with OS3 vendors to upload their contract items onto GSAAdvantage® and will notify agencies when they are available. In the interim, agencies are instructed to contact the OS3 vendors directly in order to place orders. To learn more about the FSSI OS3 solution, and view a list of the OS3 vendors, please visit gsa.gov/os3.