Social Media at GSA
Visit our sites and be social. Your comments help GSA remain vibrant, responsive and connected to the public we serve.
Social media is where important content is both discovered and shared. Learn all the latest happenings at GSA by connecting with us on a variety of social media platforms. Get to know our leadership, check-in on programs and learn more about agency initiatives.
Our social media policies provide guiding principles and practices for citizens, GSA employees, and GSA as a whole.
- Our public comments policy encourages two-way civil dialogue with citizens. GSA recognizes First Amendment rights and will allow various comments, viewpoints and opinions. In fact, social media usage is designed to solicit that input! However, the agency can monitor and remove comments that are political, target specific individuals or groups, are commercial in nature, are abusive or are similarly unacceptable.
- The Social Media Navigator provides day-to-day professional guidelines to GSA social media staff.
- The Social Media Order offers a policy framework that ensures professionalism in an increasingly interactive and transparent environment
If you have any questions about using social media at GSA, contact email@example.com.
GENERAL SERVICES ADMINISTRATION
Washington, DC 20405
April 24, 2018
SUBJECT: GSA Social Media Policy
1. Purpose. This Order provides requirements for the use of the General Services Administration’s (GSA) social media accounts for official purposes.
2. Background. Various Federal laws and regulations govern the use of social media by Federal employees in both official and personal capacities.
3. Scope and applicability. This Order applies to all GSA employees with authority to use a GSA social media account, and it includes reminders for employees when using social media in a personal capacity.
- This Order also applies to the Office of Inspector General (OIG) to the extent that the OIG determines it is consistent with the OIG’s independent authority under the Inspector General Act of 1978 (5 U.S.C. App. 3) and does not conflict with other OIG policies or the OIG mission.
- This Order applies to the Civilian Board of Contract Appeals (CBCA) only to the extent that it is consistent with the CBCA's requisite independence as defined by the Contract Disputes Act (CDA) and its legislative history. 41 U.S.C. §§ 7101-7109 (2012) and S. Rep. No. 95-1118 (1978).
- The scope of this Order includes social media technologies hosted on internal Federal Government servers such as Chatter as well as those hosted outside of Federal Government servers such as Facebook and Twitter.
4. Cancellation. This Order cancels CIO 2106.1 GSA Social Media Policy.
5. Policy. GSA encourages an official, strategic presence on social media for GSA’s agency operations and programs in support of its mission of delivering the best value in real estate, acquisition, and technology services to the Federal Government and the American people. Requests for the creation of a GSA official social media account must be submitted to the GSA Office of Strategic Communication (OSC) in accordance with the directions provided in the Social Media Navigator. GSA official social media accounts must abide by the requirements contained in this Order and the Social Media Navigator.
6. OSC responsibilities. OSC is responsible for the social media policies that govern the creation, management, use of and removal of GSA official social media accounts. OSC will:
- Establish, review, freeze (discontinue use temporarily), or terminate GSA official social media accounts. Any existing GSA social media accounts will be reviewed by OSC to determine if they are in compliance with this Order.
- Create and manage content from across GSA’s entire digital presence to share on GSA’s official social media accounts;
- Administer the GSA branding policy;
- Conduct periodic assessments of content on GSA social media sites for compliance with GSA policy, standards, and guidelines; and
- Provide policy guidance for GSA’s official social media accounts.
7. Social media user in an official capacity.
- An employee is communicating in his/her official capacity when his/her supervisor assigns this activity as part of the employee’s official duties. When an employee communicates in an official capacity, he/she is communicating on behalf of GSA and can only do what is authorized by GSA, as outlined in this Order and the Social Media Navigator. Any content an employee publishes on social media in an official capacity is done on behalf of GSA.
- A GSA employee authorized to use GSA social media accounts:
(1) Manages a GSA official social media account; creates, shares, or discusses content regarding GSA and GSA-related matters in a manner consistent with the instructions provided in the Social Media Navigator and any additional instructions from his or her supervisor or the Associate Administrator for OSC;
(2) Coordinates as needed with OSC and the Office of General Counsel (OGC) when creating, sharing, or discussing content regarding GSA or GSA-related matters.
(3) Refrains from communicating with members of the press about GSA in his/her official capacity without express permission from OSC;
(4) Uses official agency branding on GSA official social media accounts;
(5) Avoids endorsing or appearing to endorse any commercial products, services, entities, political parties, candidates or groups, private interests, or non-Federal groups;
(6) Keeps up to date with policies, including any changes to the Social Media Navigator. Navigator;
(7) Writes content in plain language, meets information quality standards, and ensures that people with limited English proficiency or disabilities have equal access to the web-based content provided using non-Federal social media services;
(8) Verifies content to ensure the information is accurate, timely, relevant, and complete;
(9) Provides data in an open, machine readable, industry standard format;
(10) Respects and protects intellectual property, to include copyrights and trademarks through the use of clear disclaimers and guidance.
(11) Protects nonpublic information, such as financial disclosure information, protected acquisition and personally identifiable information (including work product and conversations that are meant to be pre-decisional or internal to GSA), by ensuring it is not disclosed through social media activities; complies with the laws related to the prohibition on the dissemination of nonpublic information.
(12) Practices proper records management and archives social media records in compliance with Federal records management laws, regulations, and policies;
(13) Adheres to the laws for Federal Government information collection and Federal advisory committees;
(14) Refrains from engaging in vulgar or abusive language, personal attacks of any kind, or offensive terms targeting individuals or groups; and
(15) Refrains from posting any visual and audiovisual media that is vulgar or abusive, or offensive.
8. Social media user in a personal capacity.
- An employee is communicating in his/her personal capacity when he/she is acting on his/her own time and representing himself/herself and not the agency or the U.S. Government. When using social media tools personally, it should not appear to others as though an employee is speaking for GSA.
- GSA employees in their personal capacity shall:
(1) Follow the statutes and regulations that govern the behavior of Federal employees, including but not limited to the Hatch Act and the Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Executive Branch, which may extend to an employee’s personal/private use of social media.
(2) Follow the laws related to the prohibition on the dissemination of nonpublic information;
(3) Not use their GSA position/title unless several biographical details are included (if permissible on the social media vehicle used) and the employee’s title/ position is given no more prominence than the other significant biographical details.
(4) Not use official agency branding on personal social media accounts; and
(5) Not create or modify the social media account in such a way that could be construed as implying government sanction or endorsement.
- GSA employees are encouraged to use a disclaimer clarifying that their social media communications reflect only their personal views and do not necessarily represent the views of GSA or the United States. A clear and conspicuous disclaimer will usually be sufficient to dispel any confusion that arises; however, in some cases, a disclaimer may not necessarily eliminate the potential that a reasonable person could construe that the employee’s social media account is sanctioned or endorsed by GSA.
- Social Media Navigator [DOCX - 69 KB]
- GSA Order, CIO 2104.1A CHGE 1 IT General Rules of Behavior and read Appendix E, "Risks and Mitigation Strategies"
10. Labor management relations responsibilities. Implementation of this Order with respect to employees represented by a labor organization is contingent upon completion of appropriate labor relations obligations.
Acting Associate Administrator
Office of Strategic Communication
|GSA Officials on Twitter|
|Administrator Emily Murphy (@GSAEmily): Administrator of @USGSA. Delivering the best value in real estate, acquisition and technology services to government and the American people.|
|Chief Information Officer David Shive (@GSA_CIO)|
|GSA New England (R1) (@US_GSAR1) - Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.|
|GSA Northeast/Caribbean (R2) (@US_GSAR2) - New Jersey, New York, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.|
|GSA Mid-Atlantic (R3) (@US_GSAR3) - Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia.|
|GSA Southeast Sunbelt (R4) (@US_GSAR4) - Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.|
|GSA Great Lakes (R5) (@GSAGreatLakes) - Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin.|
|GSA Heartland (R6) (@US_GSAR6) - Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska.|
|GSA Greater Southwest (R7) (@US_GSAR7) - Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas|
|GSA Rocky Mountain (R8) (@US_GSAR8) - Colorado, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Wyoming|
|GSA Pacific Rim (R9) (@US_GSAR9) - Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, American Samoa, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Diego Garcia, Guam, mainland Japan and Okinawa, the Republic of Korea, Saipan, and Singapore.|
|GSA Northwest/Arctic (R10) (@US_GSAR10) - Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, Washington.|
|GSA National Capital Region (R11) (@US_GSAR11) - Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.|
|SUBSCRIBE TO OUR REGIONAL TWITTER LIST|
|Programs, Services and Initiatives|
|18F (@18F): Transforming the way government builds and buys digital services.|
|Acquisition Gateway (@Acq_Gateway): Conduct Market Research. Manage Your Acquisition Package. Join the Community. Explore the Acquisition Gateway.|
|Challenge.gov (@ChallengeGov): Challenge.gov is a place where the public and government can solve problems together.|
|CitizenScience.gov (@FedCitSci): Official government site designed to help federal agencies accelerate innovation through public participation.|
|Cloud.gov (@Clouddotgov): Cloud.gov provides an application environment that enables rapid deployment and ATO assessment for modern web applications.|
|Data.gov (@USdatagov): The central clearinghouse of the U.S. Government’s open data.|
|Design Excellence (@GSA_DesignEx): GSA's advocate for quality in the federal built environment|
|Digital Gov (@Digital_Gov): Advancing government social technology through events, analysis, leadership.|
|FAS Outreach (@FAS_Outreach): The Customer Outreach Division promotes GSA products, services, and events.|
|Federal CIO Council (@Ciodotgov): Official twitter account of the Federal CIO Council.|
|FedRAMP (@FedRAMP): Simplifies security for the digital age by providing a standardized approach to security for the cloud.|
|GobiernoUSA.gov (@GobiernoUSA): Follow us and stay up to date on the latest official government news in Spanish.|
|GSA Information Technology Services (@GSA_ITC): GSA’s one-stop shop for agencies' technology and telecommunication needs.|
|GSA Schedules (@USGSASchedules): Procurement solutions that allow customers to meet acquisition challenges.|
|GSA SmartPay (@GSASmartPayNews): Stay up to date with the latest news and training from GSA SmartPay.|
|GSA Travel Policy (@GSAtravelpolicy): Responsible for the Federal Travel Regulation and setting per diem reimbursement rates for lodging, meals and incidental expenses in the continental US.|
|GSA Vehicle Sales (@AutoAuctionsGSA): GSA Fleet Vehicle Sales, a division of the Federal Government, offers quality, U.S. Government owned cars, trucks, SUVs, and vans to the public at auction.|
|GSA's Office of Professional Services and Human Capital (@GSAProfServices): Provides federal agencies professional services, human capital services, charge card management solutions.|
|Industry Relations (@gsapbsIRD): FedBizOpps posts, Public Building Service news and information|
|Office of Small Business Utilization (@GSAOSBU): The Office of Small Business Utilization advocates for small, small disadvantaged, veteran, service-disabled veteran-owned, HUBZone, and women business owners.|
|Performance.gov (@PerformanceGov): Provides a window into Federal agencies' efforts to deliver on their mission, service, and stewardship objectives.|
|plainlanguage.gov (@govplainlang): Official website of PLAIN - group of federal employees advocate for clarity in government.|
|Real Property Utilization and Disposal (@GSA_RPDisposal): If you're looking to purchase Federal Real Estate, GSA's Office of Real Property Utilization & Disposal can help.|
|U.S. Web Design System (@USWDS): The U.S. Web Design System is a design system for the federal government.|
|USA.gov (@USAgov): Follow us to stay up to date on the latest official government news and information.|
|White House Presidential Innovation Fellows (@InnovFellows): Brings the principles, values, and practices of the innovation economy into government.|
Visit GSA on Facebook: GSA provides innovative solutions for federal agencies that include products, services, workspace, and expertise to build a better government for the American public.
|Other GSA Facebook pages and links:|
|USA.gov: This is the official portal to all official government information and services on the Internet.|
|GobiernoUSA.gov: The site offers those who speak Spanish easy access to government services, programs and information to help newcomers and well established residents alike.|
|GSA Schedules: Info for those who have contracts and those who are looking to sell to the federal government.|
|GSA SmartPay: News and info for participants in the GSA SmartPay program.|
|Challenge.gov: Using prizes and challenges to promote innovation across the United States.|
|DigitalGov: Blog posts, training and more -- plus you can share, engage and ask questions.|
|GSA Auctions: Cars, trucks, boats, planes, office equipment and more.|
|GSA Fleet Vehicle Sales|
|GSA's Office of Real Property Utilization and Disposal: Helpful if you're looking to purchase federal real estate.|
|GSA New England Region (R1)|
|GSA Northeast and Caribbean Region (R2)|
|GSA Mid-Atlantic Region (R3)|
|GSA Southeast Sunbelt Region (R4)|
|GSA Great Lakes Region (R5)|
|GSA Heartland Region (R6)|
|GSA Greater Southwest Region (R7)|
|GSA Pacific Rim Region (R9)|
|GSA Northwest/Arctic Region (R10)|
|GSA News Releases: Official agency news releases issued by the Office of Communications and Marketing Press Office|
|GSA Web News: Highlights major agency initiatives, policies, and business opportunities.|
|Speeches by the GSA Administrator: Speeches as prepared for delivery at major events, seminars, and agency functions.|
|USA.gov: News and features from the U.S. government, frequently asked questions, health, money, and consumer news, and more from the Federal Citizen Information Center.|
|GobiernoUSA.gov: Government news in Spanish on topics such as health, consumer protection, immigration, social security and more.|
|Instagram: Mobile photo and video sharing. Tag @usgsa in your pictures of federal buildings, courthouses and GSA events.|
|Watch GSA's Videos: All are captioned for easy accessibility. The videos show how GSA has taken up the president's challenge to save money, open up the government, and build a more sustainable future for the American people.|
|USAgov: The official YouTube channel of USA.gov and the U.S. Government, linking you to videos across government.|
|GobiernoUSA.gov: The official channel of the U.S. Government in Spanish featuring videos from across government.|
|DigitalGov: SocialGov, training and more.|
|GSA Company Page: Updates from the company on business opportunities, job listings and more.|
|GSA & VA Schedule Contracting: Developing professional relationships to promote streamlined procurement options for federal customers.|
|GSA PBS Industry Relations: Dedicated to strengthening communications with industry and supporting the achievement of large/small business goals.|
|GSA IWACenter: Developing professional relationships to promote streamlined procurement options for federal customers.|
|GSA Office of Information Technology Category: We are responsible for providing access to best-value information technology (IT) and telecommunications products, services, and solutions to federal, state, local, and tribal government agencies.|
|18F: Stay up to date on 18F projects, job listings and more.|