Public Buildings Service (R)
Who We Serve
Other civilian federal agencies, who use our programs to provide their workspace and furnishings at best value to the American taxpayer.
What We Do
We acquire space through new construction and leasing and maintain federal properties nationwide. We own or lease an inventory of 8,681 assets, maintain more than 370 million square feet of workspace for 1.1 million federal employees, and preserve more than 500 historic properties.
Funded primarily through the Federal Buildings Fund through rent from federal agencies, the Public Buildings Service also:
- Promotes innovative workplace solutions.
- Acts as a green technologies proving ground.
- Supports development of urban communities.
- Provides space for child care centers.
- Donates or sells underutilized real estate for federal agencies.
- Commissions artwork for new federal buildings.
- Conserves federally-owned artworks, the largest public collection in the country.
- Supports sustainable design.
- Preserves historic buildings.
Who to Contact
For assistance with real estate and workplace issues, refer to one of the contact pages to the left.