New Des Moines U.S. Courthouse
On April 18, 2016, GSA announced a new U.S. Courthouse for the Southern District of Iowa had been identified as a top priority by the federal Judiciary, and discretionary funding included in the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2016 would be used to construct a new facility in Des Moines, Iowa.
Congress officially authorized construction of a new courthouse on Nov. 22, 2016.
A Draft Environmental Assessment [PDF - 12 MB] was completed for four potential sites earlier this year, and comments from the public were accepted through July 27. GSA is now proceeding with due diligence activities, including further environmental studies on the north and south of East Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway sites. These studies are expected to be completed in December.
To ensure GSA meets its obligation to procure a site that is in the best interest of the government and the American taxpayers, the project team is conducting renewed market research within the city limits of Des Moines in an attempt to identify additional site alternatives outside of the floodplain. The July 2016 Request for Expressions of Interest (REOI) was amended to include additional sites within and beyond the central business district of Des Moines.
Total Authorized Funding: $136,602,000
Project Delivery Method: Construction Manager as Constructor (CMc)
Lead Designer Architect: Mack Scogin Merrill Elam Architects
- Preliminary Design | contingent on site selection
- Final Design | contingent on site selection
- Construction Start | contingent on site selection
- Construction Completion | contingent on site selection
- Jacobs Technology (Construction Manager as Agent, CMa) | May 2017
- Neuman Monson Architects (Design Architect of Record) | July 2017
- GSA announces next steps toward identifying site for new federal courthouse
- GSA announces preferred site, public comment period for new Des Moines courthouse
- Courthouse Environmental Assessment nears completion
- GSA announces list of sites for new Des Moines federal courthouse
- GSA announces Congressional authorization of Des Moines courthouse
- GSA seeks Expressions of Interest
- New Federal courthouse coming to Des Moines
- GSA announces $947 million courthouse investment plan
- FY 2016 funding meets Judiciary needs