The Webster School is located at 940 H Street, NW, Washington, DC at the southwest corner of H and 10th Streets SW. The building has a common floor plan that consists of two wings around a central core. The floors of the core area rest upon a brick masonry arch system with steel beams. With the exception of the basement brick and concrete floor, the entire building floor is constructed of wood joists with interior load-bearing walls. The roof is slate tile and there is an approximately 1,100 Square Foot (SF) open courtyard between the northeast and southeast wings of the building. Ceilings are approximately 18 feet high on the building’s first level and 14 feet high on the second and third levels.
• Land Size: 8,500 sq ft
• Building Size: approximately 27,500 GSF
• Three story structure with one sub-grade level in poor condition
• Historic Designation: DC Historic Landmark
• Year Built: 1882
• Zoning: DD/C-4 (Central Business District, downtown overlay, retail office, housing, mixed and public buildings permitted)
The building was constructed by the Office of the Building Inspector in 1882 as a DC school. It was closed in the 1980s and eventually sold by the District of Columbia. The National Treasury Employees Union (NTEU) purchased the building in 1999 for a new headquarters building. The United States Government purchased the building from NTEU in 2003 due to security concerns given the building was within fifteen feet of the United States Secret Service (USSS) Headquarters Building.
The Webster School is highlighted in red.
Legal Description of Webster School Property, June 28, 1999 [DOCX - 11 KB]