About the Great Lakes Region
Welcome to GSA's Great Lakes Region, headquartered in the John C. Kluczynski Federal Building in Chicago, Illinois, and serving federal agencies in:
The Great Lakes Region maintains federal buildings and public art and is committed to providing value and savings in real estate, acquisition, technology and other mission-support services across government.
In support of our customers' goals in 2021*, GSA's Great Lakes Region:
- Managed 940 properties, totaling 34 million square feet of space; these included 61 historic buildings, 9 land ports of entry (border stations), 36 buildings with ENERGY STAR designations, and 23 buildings with Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) ratings.
- Maintained a collection of 98 pieces of fine art and 29 installed Art in Architecture works.
- Operated a fleet of 18,591 vehicles, 16,024 of which use alternative fuels.
- Outleased vacant space to private businesses and the general public via 46 different lease agreements; these outleases added $1.2 million to the Federal Buildings Fund for use on building upkeep in 2021.
- Awarded $123 million – 38% of total regional contracting dollars – to small businesses.
- Transferred nearly $35 million worth of excess and surplus property to federal and state agencies in 2021.
*Source: Fiscal Year 2022 Statistical Card for the GSA Great Lakes Region (statistics as of Oct. 1, 2021).