Major General Emmett J. Bean Federal Center
8899 E. Fifty-Sixth Street
Indianapolis, IN 46249
View map [nongovernment site]
The Major General Emmett J. Bean Federal Center, commonly referred to as Building One, is located in the northeast Indianapolis area (Lawrence, Ind.), just a short distance outside the I-465 ring. This extraordinary structure is comprised of 1.6 million square feet of federal space on 52 acres.
Property Manager: Myrine Callahan, Ryan Raschke
Public Hours: 7:00 a.m.– 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (except federal holidays)
For more building information or service calls, use the contact box. For other federal government information, call toll-free 1-844-USA-GOV1.
Public Parking and Transportation
Public transportation is available through IndyGo [nongovernment website]. Free parking is available on site.
The Bean Federal Center installed a photovoltaic roof system as part of a project completed in 2011. The solar roof system generates enough power to save $500,000 in electric utility costs annually. The picture at right shows a rooftop view of the system, which uses strategically-placed solar panels to convert natural sunlight into safe, usable energy. (Note: the aerial picture below predates the solar panel project.)
- Barbershop – First Floor (by appointment)
- Beanery Coffee Shop – First Floor (6:00 a.m.– 2:30 p.m.)
- Cafeteria – First Floor (breakfast 6:00 – 9:30 a.m., lunch 10:30 a.m.– 1:00 p.m.)
- Federal Occupational Health Unit – First Floor (7:30 a.m.– 4:00 p.m.)
- Finance Center Federal Credit Union – North Lobby (Mon., Wed.-Fri. – , Tues. – )
- Fitness Center – Basement (open 24/7; managed by DFAS for tenant use and requires access code from DFAS Facility Manager)
- GSA Joint-Use Conference Room – First Floor
- Snack Stand – First Floor (6:30 a.m.– 4:00 p.m.)
- Vending Areas, Microwaves, and Seating – Floors 1-3
The Start Smart 4 Children Day Care Center, located northwest of the Bean Federal Center at 5545 Herbert Lord Drive, cares for federal employee children ages three-months to six-years. It operates from 6:00 a.m.– 6:00 p.m.
History & Architecture
Originally known as the Fort Harrison Finance Center and part of the Fort Benjamin Harrison Military Base, the facility was acquired by GSA in 1995. We completed an extensive project in 2003 to modernize the building's office space to current industry standards.
The shortcut to this page is www.gsa.gov/ejb.