Theodore Levin U.S. Courthouse
231 West Lafayette Boulevard
Detroit, MI 48226-2700
The 629,000-square-foot Theodore Levin U.S. Courthouse occupies a full city block bound by West Lafayette Boulevard (north), Fort Street (south), Washington Boulevard (east), and Shelby Street (west) in downtown Detroit. The main entrance is on West Lafayette, but an accessible ramp is available on the Fort Street side.
Property Managers: Laura Marble, Steven Ernest
Public Hours and Access: 7 a.m.– 5 p.m. Monday through Friday (except federal holidays); visitors must submit to security screening, present a valid ID card (see Real ID), and carry no cell phones, cameras, or recording devices.
For more building information or service calls, use contact info box. For jury information, visit U.S. District Court FAQs. For other federal information, call toll-free 1-844-USA-GOV1.
Public Parking and Transportation
The Detroit People Mover's Michigan Ave. and Fort/Cass stations are a block away from the courthouse. Street parking along all sides of the courthouse is prohibited, but parking meters are available on the far side of Fort Street. Numerous parking lots and structures in the area offer public parking for $8–10 per day.
The Levin Courthouse serves the District Court and supporting federal agencies by providing courtrooms, chambers and office space.
- ATM – first floor near the Fort St. entrance
- Business Center – first floor; access to UPS, FedEx, and U.S. Postal Service drop-boxes
- Snack Shop – first floor, main hall; hours 7 a.m.– 4 p.m.
- Vending – fifth floor
History and Architectural Features
Construction began on the originally named Detroit Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse in April 1932 and was completed in March 1934. This Neo-Classical Revival building with Modernistic traits includes an intricately hand-painted lobby walkway and domed ceiling. All halls have marble floors, and all public restrooms are wheelchair accessible.
There are 24 courtrooms, six of which are historic, including the Million Dollar Courtroom. Originally constructed for $1 million in the 1890s, this courtroom was painstakingly disassembled when the original courthouse was demolished and later reassembled in the current building, where it is still in use today.
The building also features several ornamental bas-relief sculptural groupings created by noted Detroit architectural modeler Corrado Joseph Parducci. Parducci designed the sculptural panels and medallions to depict various agencies and activities of the federal government at the time.
On May 1, 1995, the courthouse was named for the Honorable Theodore Levin, appointed to the federal bench in 1946 by President Harry Truman. Levin sat on the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, until his death in 1970, serving as Chief Judge from 1959 to 1967. His nephews are the former Senator Carl Levin and Representative Sander Levin, both of Michigan.
See more about the courthouse's history, architecture and significance.
The Levin Courthouse has received six ENERGY STAR® designations. In 2011 the courthouse also earned The Outstanding Building of the Year (TOBY) International Award in the Historical Building category from the Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA).
The shortcut for this page is www.gsa.gov/levincrths.