Howard M. Metzenbaum US Courthouse
201 Superior Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44114
View map [nongovernment site]
The Howard M. Metzenbaum U.S. Courthouse, opened in 1910 and originally known as the Old Federal Building and Post Office, was renamed in honor of former U.S. Senator Howard Morton Metzenbaum (served 1976-95) on May 27, 1998.
View this video link for highlights of the courthouse's construction history and artwork.
Property Manager: Karen Weaver
Public Hours: 7 a.m.– 5 p.m. Monday through Friday (except federal holidays)
For more building information or service calls, see contact box. For general federal government information, call toll-free 1-844-USA-GOV1.
The main entrance is located on Superior Avenue. All visitors must submit to security screening and present a valid identification card (see Real ID) when entering the building.
Parking and Public Transportation
There are multiple public parking [nongovernment site] options in close proximity to the Metzenbaum Courthouse, and the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority [nongovernment site] provides public transportation throughout Cleveland and the surrounding suburbs. Bus stops are located just outside the courthouse on Superior and Rockwell avenues. Train stations are located a few blocks south of the courthouse at the Tower City Center.
Current tenants include the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Department of Agriculture, Department of Commerce, General Services Administration, and U.S. Trustees.
History and Architectural Features
The Metzenbaum U.S. Courthouse was the first building erected under Cleveland's 1903 Group Plan and serves as a southwest corner anchor for Cleveland's Civic Mall. New York architect Arnold W. Brunner designed the original Cleveland Federal Building under the direction of James Knox Taylor, Supervising Architect of the U.S. Treasury Department. The building was constructed in the Neo-Classical style, exemplified by 42-foot-tall Corinthian columns on all four facades.
The building has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1974. The public lobby still contains many original features, including chandeliers and marble-tiled floors, wall panels, and vaulted ceiling.
The Metzenbaum Courthouse contains a wealth of fine art, from its Daniel Chester French sculptures Jurisprudence and Commerce outside the main entrance to several large paintings adorning its courtrooms and 63 murals of the Delivering the Mail collection painted by Francis Millet. See more federal artworks by visiting America's online Fine Arts Collection.
Awards and Certifications
- U.S. Green Building Council - Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED®) Existing Building Operation & Maintenance (EBOM) certification, January 2013
- Building Owners & Managers Association (BOMA) - 360 Performance Designation for excellence in building operations and maintenance, March 2011
- BOMA - Regional & International The Office Building of the Year (TOBY) Award - Government Building Category, 2010
- Greater Cleveland BOMA - Local TOBY Award - Government Building Category, 2008-2010
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - ENERGY STAR®, 2008
- American Institute of Architects (AIA) - Ohio Design Award - Honor Award, Interior Design, 2007
- Contract Magazine - Interiors Restoration Award, 2007
- U.S. Green Building Council - LEED® certification, New Construction (Renovation), 2007
- AIA Cleveland Historic Resources Committee - Preservation Award, 2006
- AIA Ohio Design Award - Renovation and Restoration, Merit Award, 2006
- Cleveland Restoration Society - Preservation Award, Trustees Award for Preservation Achievement, 2006
- AIA Cleveland - Design Honor Award, 2005
- Builders Exchange - Award for Craftsmanship, 2005
- Ohio Historic Preservation Office - Preservation Merit Award, 2005
The shortcut for this page is www.gsa.gov/metzenbaumct.