James M. Ashley & Thomas W. L. Ashley U.S. Courthouse
1716 Spielbusch Ave.
Toledo, OH 43604
View map [non-government website]
The James M. Ashley and Thomas W. L. Ashley U.S. Courthouse, located at the north end of Toledo’s Civic Mall, was named after James Mitchell Ashley and his great-grandson Thomas W. L. "Lud" Ashley in 2008. James authored the U.S. Constitution's 13th Amendment, abolishing slavery, and Thomas was a key figure in delivering comprehensive energy legislation in 1977.
Property Manager: Brenda Peare
For service calls or other building information, use contacts at top right. For other federal government information, call toll-free 1-844-USA-GOV1.
Public Parking and Transportation
The courthouse has limited on-site parking, but there is parking available in the vicinity and access to the Toledo Area Regional Transit Authority [non-government website].
Project Update: New Annex & Courthouse Renovation
GSA received funding for the design and construction of a new 96,000-square-foot courthouse annex (with inside parking spaces) and the repair and alteration of the Ashley U.S. Courthouse. The renovation of the existing courthouse and construction of the new annex will meet space requirements of the District and Bankruptcy courts. The project also includes elevator replacement, accessibility upgrades, tenant improvements, façade repairs, roof replacement, and upgrades to mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and life safety systems. The project will provide six courtrooms and eight chambers to accommodate eight judges.
- Current Status: Responses to the CMc solicitation issued on Aug. 1, 2017, are currently under review.
- Total Authorized Funding: $6,500,000 was appropriated in fiscal year 2004 for the design of a new courthouse. Subsequently, $97,784,000 was appropriated in FY 2016 for the design and construction of a new annex and renovation of the Ashley U.S. Courthouse.
- Architect of Record: Schooley Caldwell Architects with Schwartz Silver Architects
- Design Award: November 2016
- Design Complete (anticipated): March 2018
- Construction Manager as Agent: Hill International
- Commissioning Agent: AECOM
- Construction Start: January 2018 for the new annex; March 2021 for the existing courthouse
- Construction Complete: 2021 for the new annex; 2023 for the existing courthouse
- Media Inquiries: Cat Langel, GSA Public Affairs Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org
The main tenants of the building are the U.S. District Court, Bankruptcy Court, and Marshals Service.
History and Architectural Features
The Ashley U.S. Courthouse was designed in the Beaux Art Classicism style of architecture by Graham H. Woolfall and built in 1932. The building has elements of Early Classical Revival, Greek Revival, Federal, and Georgian architecture. Virtually unchanged since its original construction, the courthouse design includes a buff-colored limestone veneer, a two-story exterior stone colonnade, and decorative public corridors and lobbies featuring terrazzo floors, marble wall veneers, bronze door frames, and decorative plaster panels.
The shortcut for this page is www.gsa.gov/ashleyct.