About the Great Lakes Region
Welcome to GSA's Great Lakes Region, which serves federal agencies in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin.
The Great Lakes Region maintains the region's federal buildings and public art while creating sustainable solutions to reduce the federal government’s environmental footprint.
The Great Lakes Region is also committed to providing superior workplaces, expert solutions, acquisition plans, and management services – at best value – to help federal agencies serve the public more effectively.
In support of our customers' goals in 2016*, GSA's Great Lakes Region:
- Managed 1,009 properties, totaling 35 million square feet of space; these included 54 historic buildings, 11 land ports of entry (border stations), 35 buildings with ENERGY STAR® designations, and 21 buildings with Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) ratings.
- Maintained a collection of 95 pieces of fine art and 29 installed Art in Architecture works.
- Operated a fleet of 15,957 vehicles, 12,356 of which use alternative fuels.
- Outleased 41,238 square feet of vacant space to private businesses and the general public via 103 different lease agreements; these outleases added $2.03 million to the Federal Buildings Fund for use on building upkeep in 2016.
- Awarded $105M – 42% of total regional contracting dollars – to small businesses.
- Received a 68% tenant satisfaction rating (four or higher on a five-point scale) on the 2016 Tenant Satisfaction Survey.
- Recycled 11,000 tons of waste in 2016, diverting 57% of its waste from landfills.
- Donated more than $44.8 million worth of excess and surplus property to federal and state agencies in 2016.
*Source: Fiscal Year 2017 Statistical Card for the GSA Great Lakes Region (statistics as of Oct. 1, 2016).