Cedar Rapids U.S. Courthouse
111 Seventh Avenue SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
The 305,999 square foot courthouse opened for business Nov. 5, 2012. It currently houses nine federal agencies, five courtrooms, a history center and a law library — which serves the courts and attorneys.
General Building Information
Hours of Operation: Weekdays, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Visitors must have a valid ID and pass through a security screening. Cell phones and cameras are not permitted in the building. Visitors only have access to public spaces in the building.
Tours of the building are available upon request. The U.S. District Courts conducts tours of the public areas of the courthouse, which includes the atrium and the history center. Please call the U.S. District Court at 319-286-2300 to make reservations.
- E Pluribus 2012. Ralph Helmick b. 1952.
The 41-foot-tall, powder-coated steel sculpture dominates the atrium with its 27-foot base.
- Iowa August. Fred Easker b. 1944.
The artist is a Cedar Rapids' resident who has been painting the Iowa landscape for more than 15 years.
- The Four Seasons. Ellen Wegener b. 1964.
The four landscape paintings located in the elevator lobbies on the second through fifth floors are collectively called "The Four Seasons." Each are pastel on paper prints, each depicting a season in Iowa. Wagener is a former Iowan, now residing in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- The New Americans. Julie Moos, b. 1966.
The series consists of six 40 x 52-inch photographs featuring pairs of new U.S. citizens on the day of their naturalization ceremony. The people in the photographs were sworn in during the first naturalization held in the courthouse on Nov. 16, 2012, less than two weeks after the courthouse opened for business.
The History Center
The history center, housed centrally on the first floor, includes a series of interactive educational exhibits showcasing the federal judicial history from the statehood of Iowa to today. Lawyers who practice in this district funded the project. The interactive display provides information on judges who have served in the Northern District of Iowa, buildings that have housed the court, historically significant cases and information about the federal judiciary.
Vending is located in Room 265, just off of the atrium on the second floor. It includes machines dispensing soda, cold drinks, snacks and sandwiches. The room also has a microwave, sink, change machine, tables and chairs. It is operated by the Iowa Commission for the Blind.