New Des Moines U.S. Courthouse
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa
On April 18, 2016, GSA announced a new U.S. courthouse for the Southern District of Iowa had been identified as a top priority by the federal Judiciary, and discretionary funding included in the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2016 would be used to construct a new facility in Des Moines, Iowa.
Congress officially authorized construction of a new courthouse on Nov. 22, 2016.
The project currently is in the design phase. The design team began developing preliminary concepts in August 2018 for the selected site in accordance with GSA Design Excellence guidelines, and the final concept was approved May 22, 2019. The CMc and CMa are engaged in design phase services, providing cost and constructability input in to the preliminary concepts.
GSA released the approved design concept in May 2019.
Selection of artist(s) for Art in Architecture program is scheduled for summer of 2019.
Total authorized funding: $136,602,000 for site acquisition, design, construction, and related expenses
Project delivery method: Construction Manager as Constructor (CMc)
Lead design architect: Mack Scogin Merrill Elam Architects
- Summer 2019: Selection of artist(s) for Art in Architecture program
- February 2020: Final design
- Fall 2019 (tentative): Construction start
- Fall 2022 (tentative): Construction completion
- Jacobs Technology (Construction Manager as Agent, CMa) | May 2017
- Neumann Monson Architects (Design Architect of Record) | July 2017
- Ryan Companies US, Inc. (Construction Manager as Constructor, CMc) | June 2018
Final Environmental Assessment [PDF - 11 MB] | August 2018
- GSA releases approved design concept of new Des Moines U.S. Courthouse
- GSA executes contract to purchase property for new Des Moines federal courthouse
- GSA awards design phase services contract for new federal courthouse
- GSA publishes Final Environmental Assessment for new federal courthouse
- GSA announces next steps toward identifying site for new federal courthouse
- GSA announces preferred site, public comment period for new Des Moines courthouse
- Courthouse Environmental Assessment nears completion
- GSA announces list of sites for new Des Moines federal courthouse
- GSA announces Congressional authorization of Des Moines courthouse
- GSA seeks Expressions of Interest
- New Federal courthouse coming to Des Moines
- GSA announces $947 million courthouse investment plan
- FY 2016 funding meets Judiciary needs