New Des Moines U.S. Courthouse
On April 18, 2016, GSA announced a new U.S. courthouse for the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa had been identified as a top priority by the federal Judiciary, and discretionary funding included in the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2016 would be used to construct a new facility in Des Moines, Iowa.
Congress officially authorized construction of a new courthouse on Nov. 22, 2016.
The project currently is in the construction phase.
Construction of foundations and footings were completed in July. Construction of the first floor slab began in early August and is nearly complete. Form work for the second floor is being erected throughout September and October. Construction of the elevated structure will continue through spring 2021.
Additional early work package pricing and negotiations are continuing, along with estimate reconciliation of the 75% construction documents that were submitted to GSA in June. Mock-ups for various components are planned for September or October of 2020.
Selection of artist(s) for Art in Architecture program is scheduled for fall of 2020.
Total authorized funding: $136,602,000 for site acquisition, design, construction, and related expenses
Project delivery method: Construction Manager as Constructor (CMc)
Lead design architect: Mack Scogin Merrill Elam Architects
- Fall 2020: Selection of artist(s) for Art in Architecture program
- December 2020: Final design
- Fall 2022 (tentative): Construction completion
- Jacobs Technology (Construction Manager as Agent, CMa) | May 2017
- Neumann Monson Architects (Design Architect of Record) | July 2017
- Ryan Companies US, Inc. (Construction Manager as Constructor, CMc) | June 2018
Final Environmental Assessment [PDF - 11 MB] | August 2018
- Groundbreaking marks start of construction on new courthouse
- GSA releases approved design concept of new Des Moines U.S. Courthouse
- GSA executes contract to purchase property for new Des Moines federal courthouse
- GSA awards design phase services contract for new federal courthouse
- GSA publishes Final Environmental Assessment for new federal courthouse
- GSA announces next steps toward identifying site for new federal courthouse
- GSA announces preferred site, public comment period for new Des Moines courthouse
- Courthouse Environmental Assessment nears completion
- GSA announces list of sites for new Des Moines federal courthouse
- GSA announces Congressional authorization of Des Moines courthouse
- GSA seeks Expressions of Interest
- New Federal courthouse coming to Des Moines
- GSA announces $947 million courthouse investment plan
- FY 2016 funding meets Judiciary needs
For more information, contact Alison Kohler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The shortcut to this page is: gsa.gov/desmoinescourthouse.