New Des Moines U.S. Courthouse
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa
On April 18, 2016, GSA announced a new U.S. courthouse for the Southern District of Iowa had been identified as a top priority by the federal Judiciary, and discretionary funding included in the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2016 would be used to construct a new facility in Des Moines, Iowa.
Congress officially authorized construction of a new courthouse on Nov. 22, 2016.
The project currently is in the construction phase. The project team is working to complete the design development phase by late December.
GSA executed an agreement with the Iowa State Historic Preservation Office. Excavation work started for foundations in early October 2019 with pricing on early work packages continuing. The job site offices are completed.
Selection of artist(s) for Art in Architecture program is scheduled for spring of 2020.
Total authorized funding: $136,602,000 for site acquisition, design, construction, and related expenses
Project delivery method: Construction Manager as Constructor (CMc)
Lead design architect: Mack Scogin Merrill Elam Architects
- Spring 2020: Selection of artist(s) for Art in Architecture program
- February 2020: Final design
- Fall 2022 (tentative): Construction completion
- Jacobs Technology (Construction Manager as Agent, CMa) | May 2017
- Neumann Monson Architects (Design Architect of Record) | July 2017
- Ryan Companies US, Inc. (Construction Manager as Constructor, CMc) | June 2018
Final Environmental Assessment [PDF - 11 MB] | August 2018
- Groundbreaking marks start of construction on new courthouse
- GSA releases approved design concept of new Des Moines U.S. Courthouse
- GSA executes contract to purchase property for new Des Moines federal courthouse
- GSA awards design phase services contract for new federal courthouse
- GSA publishes Final Environmental Assessment for new federal courthouse
- GSA announces next steps toward identifying site for new federal courthouse
- GSA announces preferred site, public comment period for new Des Moines courthouse
- Courthouse Environmental Assessment nears completion
- GSA announces list of sites for new Des Moines federal courthouse
- GSA announces Congressional authorization of Des Moines courthouse
- GSA seeks Expressions of Interest
- New Federal courthouse coming to Des Moines
- GSA announces $947 million courthouse investment plan
- FY 2016 funding meets Judiciary needs
For more information, contact Alison Kohler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The shortcut to this page is: gsa.gov/desmoinescourthouse.