New Des Moines U.S. Courthouse
On April 18, 2016, GSA announced a new U.S. courthouse for the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa had been identified as a top priority by the federal Judiciary, and discretionary funding included in the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2016 would be used to construct a new facility in Des Moines, Iowa.
Congress officially authorized construction of a new courthouse on Nov. 22, 2016.
The project currently is in the construction phase.
Construction is complete on the first and second floor slabs. Formwork and concrete placement for the third floor structure will take place throughout the month of December. Construction of the building's structure will continue through spring 2021.
Additional early work package pricing and negotiations are ongoing.
The balance of the CMc contract is expected to be awarded before the end of February 2021.
Total authorized funding: $136,602,000 for site acquisition, design, construction, and related expenses
Project delivery method: Construction Manager as Constructor (CMc)
Lead design architect: Mack Scogin Merrill Elam Architects
- February 2021: Final design documents to be released
- Fall 2022 (tentative): Construction completion
- Winter 2023: Occupancy
- Jacobs Technology (Construction Manager as Agent, CMa) | May 2017
- Neumann Monson Architects (Design Architect of Record) | July 2017
- Ryan Companies US, Inc. (Construction Manager as Constructor, CMc) | June 2018
Final Environmental Assessment [PDF - 11 MB] | August 2018
- Groundbreaking marks start of construction on new courthouse
- GSA releases approved design concept of new Des Moines U.S. Courthouse
- GSA executes contract to purchase property for new Des Moines federal courthouse
- GSA awards design phase services contract for new federal courthouse
- GSA publishes Final Environmental Assessment for new federal courthouse
- GSA announces next steps toward identifying site for new federal courthouse
- GSA announces preferred site, public comment period for new Des Moines courthouse
- Courthouse Environmental Assessment nears completion
- GSA announces list of sites for new Des Moines federal courthouse
- GSA announces Congressional authorization of Des Moines courthouse
- GSA seeks Expressions of Interest
- New Federal courthouse coming to Des Moines
- GSA announces $947 million courthouse investment plan
- FY 2016 funding meets Judiciary needs
For more information, contact Alison Kohler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The shortcut to this page is: gsa.gov/desmoinescourthouse.