Charles Evans Whittaker U.S. Courthouse
400 East 9th Street
Kansas City, MO 64106
Overlooking the Missouri River from downtown Kansas City, Missouri, this 11-story, crescent-shaped courthouse includes 16 courtrooms, the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, judges' chambers, U.S. Attorney’s office, U.S. Marshals offices and other court-related agencies.
"PAX" and "LEX," Latin for "Peace" and "Law," are engraved on each side of the main entrance — symbolizing peaceful resolution of legal disputes.
General Building Information
The federal courthouse corridors comprise diverse materials such as granite, limestone, glass and terrazzo. Main public areas feature limestone wainscoting. Brass elevator doors and custom lighting adorn the elevator waiting areas. The rotunda lobby features granite columns, terrazzo floors and a collection of five, 25-foot tall sculptures called "Sentinels of Justice." Its exterior has 2,400 pieces of pre-cast concrete, including radius style architectural panels and an extensive array of column covers. Special rolled steel forms ensured the absolute smoothness required of the panels.
Amenities include extensive multimedia conferencing facilities, a cafeteria, secured parking and a historical gallery highlighting the Western District of Missouri. The gallery is open to the public and includes interactive stations for learning.
Charles Evans Whittaker
Charles Evans Whittaker is the only judge from the State of Missouri to become a U. S. Supreme Court Justice. He served in this capacity from 1957-1962. Justice Whittaker was part of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit from 1954-1957 when he was confirmed by Congress to the Supreme Court.
The jury assembly reception area, on the second floor of the courthouse, houses a portrait of Charles Evans Whittaker.
The shortcut to this page is www.gsa.gov/whittakercths.