Rush Hudson Limbaugh Sr. U.S. Courthouse
The Rush Hudson Limbaugh Sr. U.S. Courthouse sits on a 3-acre site and rests on 170 concrete piers, which are socketed into solid bedrock at depths up to 65 feet, making the building able to withstand a significant seismic event.
The main entry glass atrium towers the entire four stories and boasts indigenous limestone flooring rich in fossil relics complemented with a black granite pattern. Twin monumental staircases have patterned railings with cherry wood finishes. The building is 173,392 gross square feet and contains three courtrooms.
Rush Hudson Limbaugh Sr. was a well-known and respected member of the Cape Girardeau community. Limbaugh received his legal training at the University of Missouri—Columbia and practiced law for nearly 80 years until his death in 1996 at the age of 104. At the time, he was the nation’s oldest practicing lawyer.
General Building Information
Hours of Operation
The Limbaugh Courthouse is open 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday–Friday, excluding federal holidays. Visitors must have a valid ID and must enter in through the security checkpoint at the main entrance. The individual’s ID badge must be worn at all times while in the building.
There is a visitor’s parking lot outside the Limbaugh Courthouse and is available on a first-come-first-served basis. For additional information about parking, please contact the St. Louis East Field Office.
Vending machines are located on the first floor.
Judicial Education and History Center
The Center was dedicated in 2010 and is designed to educate visitors about the United States Judiciary, particularly as it relates to the eastern Missouri and the Cape Girardeau region. Historical photographs and colorful illustrations aid in documenting a rich legal history and explaining significant legal events from the last 200 years. The Center contains a number of permanent exhibits including the life and accomplishments of Rush Hudson Limbaugh, Sr., the role of the judicial branch and roles of the federal and state courts are compared.
Art In Architecture
The process of featuring artwork in federal buildings is a collaboration between GSA and the architect of the building, art professionals and community advisors, and the U.S. Courts. The AIA in the courthouse is a piece that highlights the talent of artist Kent Bloomer. Bloomer’s artwork is installed in the main entrance atrium area. It is made of fiberglass panels, and he describes his “sculpture-frieze” as an ornament to the architecture of the courthouse. It is composed as a procession of books chained together with rings and waves, and is meant to honor the written words of the law.
Revolutionary War Plaque
The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), founded in 1890, is a non-profit, nonpolitical volunteer women's service organization dedicated to promoting patriotism, preserving American history and securing America's future through better education for children. The courthouse has the special honor of housing a bronze plaque which memorializes the Revolutionary War soldiers buried in Cape Girardeau County. The Nancy Hunter chapter of the DAR created the plaque in 1924 and it was previously displayed at the old federal building and courthouse.
Green Building Display
In 2008, the building was the first U.S. courthouse nationwide to receive the Leadership in Environmental and Energy Design Silver certification by the U.S. Green Building Council. Ongoing sustainability efforts by building maintenance personnel led to an Energy Star performance rating of 84 on a scale of 100. The green features include sustainable design features such as reduced site disturbance, erosion and sedimentation control; alternative transportation accommodations; water-efficient landscaping; sustainable materials, including 10 percent recycled content and 20 percent locally-manufactured materials; indoor environmental quality with low-emitting materials; and, an advanced building automation system for monitoring tenant comfort.
The shortcut to this page is gsa.gov/limbaughcourthouse.
Photo courtesy: Peter Wilson Photography ©2007