GSA releases approved design concept of new Des Moines U.S. Courthouse
DES MOINES, Iowa -- The U.S. General Services Administration released the approved design concept for the $136.6 million new U.S. Courthouse in Des Moines, Iowa. The design concept remains subject to minor modifications, according to budgetary, operational and security requirements.
“GSA is focused on delivering the best value in real estate to our federal partners and the American people,” said Heartland Public Buildings Service Regional Commissioner Kevin Rothmier. “We will continue to work with our intergovernmental partners and the Des Moines community as we fulfill the Judiciary’s request, as authorized by Congress, for a new federal courthouse for the Southern District of Iowa.”
“This is an important step toward building a functional, secure, and critically needed courthouse that will serve the court and the public for many decades. The court appreciates our partnership with GSA, the architects, builders, and staff in this ongoing collaborative effort. This is a great project for Des Moines, the court, and the entire Southern District of Iowa,” said Chief Judge John A. Jarvey of Des Moines.
- Working with the federal Judiciary, the design will satisfy the housing needs of the Southern District of Iowa in a secure and cost-efficient manner.
- The finished project will save millions in taxpayer-funded lease costs as tenants are relocated from a leased Courthouse Annex at 110 E. Court Ave.
- Thus far, over $10 million has been invested in the project, which is scheduled for completion in the fall of 2022.
- Analysis of project need and site selection was completed in 2018 with the Final Environmental Assessment [PDF - 11 MB] and purchase agreement.
- Congress appropriated funds for a new Des Moines U.S. Courthouse with fiscal year 2016 appropriations.
- The project team is planning a groundbreaking ceremony for late summer.
The mission of the U.S. General Services Administration is to deliver value and savings in real estate, acquisition, technology, and other mission-support services across government. One of GSA’s four strategic goals is to save taxpayer money through better management of federal real estate.
About Federal Courts:
The U.S. Courts were created under Article III of the Constitution to administer justice fairly and impartially, within the jurisdiction established by the Constitution and Congress.