Five Points Site, New York
Five Points in 1827 as depicted in Valentine's Manual, 1855
As a new federal courthouse was being developed in lower Manhattan in the early 1990s, GSA, in fulfillment of its obligations under the National Historic Preservation Act and related federal legislation, undertook archeological investigations at a location once known as Five Points, New York. It was named for the points created by the intersection of Park, Worth, and Baxter streets.
Today, the Five Points neighborhood, once known as a center of vice, crime and debauchery throughout the nineteenth century is occupied by a center of justice — the Daniel Patrick Moynihan U.S. Courthouse. Learn more about the history of Five Points in New York’s Mythic Slum booklet [PDF - 7 MB].
The shortcut to this page is gsa.gov/fivepoints.