GSA is partnering with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) to develop a program of projects at a number of Land Ports of Entry (LPOEs) so that FMCSA agents can safely and effectively inspect both commercial truck and bus traffic.
GSA intended to prepare an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) to analyze the potential impacts from the proposed construction of six inspection facilities at five different LPOEs in both California and Arizona. A Notice of Intent (NOI) was published in the Federal Register for this EIS on May 23, 2019. A revised NOI was published June 21, 2019.
Proposed Projects originally included:
- San Ysidro LPOE - Bus inspection
- Otay Mesa LPOE - Commercial Truck Inspection
- Calexico East LPOE - Bus and Commercial Truck Inspections
- San Luis II LPOE - Commercial Truck Inspection
- Nogales-Mariposa - Commercial Truck Inspection
Based on scoping comments received on the EIS, GSA has modified the proposed action to develop co-located truck inspection facilities within existing state-operated inspection facilities to the extent practicable and develop stand-alone Federal facilities for the proposed bus inspection facilities where necessary. GSA has further revised the NOI [DOCX - 34 KB] since published and updated the Federal Register Notice on May 15, 2020, which revises the proposed program.
SAN YSIDRO - LAND PORT OF ENTRY FMCSA BUS INSPECTION FACILITY
GSA has prepared a separate Environmental Assessment (EA) for the proposed inspection facility at San Ysidro and has signed a Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI).
- Final Environmental Assessment [PDF - 6 MB]
- FMCSA San Ysidro FONSI [DOCX - 35 KB]
- SYLPOE Draft EA-May 2020 [PDF - 4 MB]
- SYLPOE Existing Conditions and Proposed Alternatives Poster [PDF - 2 MB]
- Revised NOI, Project Action and NOA [DOCX - 34 KB]
GSA is negotiating agreements with state operated inspection facilities for possible co-located facilities, which will determine what type of NEPA documentation will be prepared for those proposed actions. This website will provide updates on the suite of FMCSA projects as the plans for the facilities are clarified.