The 5 Realign Project
Counting down to September 23rd at 3:00 am
Starting Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 3 a.m. and continuing through 12 p.m. Monday, September 25, all southbound lanes of I-5 and I-805 will be closed to traffic south of the SR-905. Detours will be provided for destinations south of SR-905 (residences, business, etc.), however, vehicular access into Mexico through the San Ysidro Land Port of Entry will be closed. For vehicles wanting to enter Mexico during this time, a detour to the Otay Land Port of Entry will also be in place. Northbound travelers (pedestrian and vehicular) crossing the border from Mexico and southbound pedestrians crossing the border into Mexico will be unaffected.
- During this phase of construction, a portion of southbound Interstate 5 (I-5) will be realigned and expanded into the Mexico El Chaparral Port of Entry
- Construction work on southbound I-5 begins mid-September 2017
- Realignment will be completed in the summer of 2019
- This phase expands the number of southbound vehicle inspection lanes from five to 10 within the Port, and from 10 to 19 at the El Chaparral border crossing
- Improves the roadway alignment for vehicles entering Mexico
- An additional eight 8 northbound vehicle inspection lanes with 15 additional inspection booths are also being constructed
- All pedestrian facilities will remain open during construction
- Public transit services (bus and trolley) will operate on a normal weekend schedule during the September shutdown
- Southbound border crossers can ride public transit (bus and trolley) to access San Ysidro Port of Entry via the UC San Diego Blue Line or Route 906/907, or Otay Mesa via Routes 905 and 950 (from Iris Ave. Transit Center).
- For more information on public transportation options, visit the San Diego MTS website.
The shortcut url for this page is www.gsa.gov/5realign