New Huntsville U.S. Courthouse
In fiscal year 2019, Congress approved funding for the construction of a new approximately 123,100-gross-square-foot federal courthouse in Huntsville, Alabama, for the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama. The new courthouse will include five courtrooms and six judges' chambers and will provide workspace for several other federal agencies, including the U.S. Marshals Service, the U.S. Attorney's Office, and the U.S Probation and Pretrial Services. Once built, the courthouse will have 26 secured parking spaces.
GSA’s efforts to build the new Huntsville federal courthouse completed the bridging design phase in March 2021, and the design-build phase began with the award of the design-build bridging contract in August 2021 to Brasfield & Gorrie, LLC, headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama.
Brasfield & Gorrie mobilized and began construction activities in April 2022, and they are scheduled to complete the design in October 2022. A groundbreaking ceremony is being planned for September 2022. The construction of the Courthouse is planned to be complete in the Summer of 2024.
In February 2022 ,GSA also awarded the public art commission for the Huntsville Courthouse project to Caleb O’Conner.
- Total authorized funding: $110 million for site acquisition, design and construction services.
- Project delivery method: Design-Build Bridging
- Lead design architect: Steve White, Fentress Architects
- Key milestones (all dates are subject to change):
- November 2019 - Award of the A/E Bridging Architect
- October 2020 - Award of the CMa & Commissioning Contract
- March 2021 - Bridging Design phase complete
- August 2021 - Award of the Design/ Build Contract
- February 2022 - Art-in-Architecture Award
- April 2022 - Construction begins
- October 2022 - Design complete (100% construction documents)
- August 2024 - Planned substantial completion
- Awarded contracts:
- O'Brien & Gere (Phase I Site Assessment and Limited EA) -- Awarded Feb. 2019
- CEMS Engineering (Program of Requirements and BTU Survey) - Awarded April 2019
- Payne Design Group Architects LLC - Bridging Architect - Awarded November 2019
- APSI Construction Management - CMa/ Commissioning - Awarded October 2020
- Brasfield & Gorrie LLC (Design-Build Bridging) -- Awarded Aug. 2021
- Aug. 11, 2021 -- Birmingham firm awarded contract to build new federal courthouse in Huntsville
- Jan. 11, 2021 -- GSA unveils design for new federal courthouse in Huntsville