Equipment Rental and Leasing
Renting equipment or vehicles is an attractive option for the government. It provides more benefits than outright purchase and provides the widest variety of equipment for added job versatility. Some of the costs that are avoided by renting instead of purchasing include:
- Regular maintenance and repairs
Renting also allows you to take advantage of the expertise of staffed professionals who will:
- Assess and secure the right equipment for the job;
- Offer a wide-variety of specialized and modern equipment;
- Provide the most up-to-date equipment within the rental company; and
- Offer groups that have experience with specialized equipment applications, such as scaffolding services, aerial specialists, pump and power.
Should I Rent or Buy?
There are many things to consider when deciding whether to own or rent equipment. One is the burden of ownership that you would not have if renting, such as:
- Ownership requires a capital investment to cover the direct costs of equipment;
- Ownership also requires additional costs for a maintenance shop, maintenance staff, training, fuel, and more;
- Renting keeps the burden of buying, maintaining and selling the equipment on the rental center;
- National rental companies make significant annual investments in the newest, most advanced equipment on the market; and
- Rental companies invest in maintenance staff to keep all equipment in top condition.
You can access contact information for all GSA rental equipment suppliers by visiting the GSA Advantage web site. See Schedule 51 V—SIN 515 002 in GSA eLibrary for more information.
Short Term Rental Program
Another way to access rental equipment is through the GSA Fleet STR Program. This program supplies vehicles and equipment to all federal agencies to fulfill short term and temporary needs. All federal customers can now use GSA’s Short Term Rental program.
The STR program:
- Provides more than 70 types of vehicles, including sedans, SUVs, minivans, buses, box trucks, and flat-bed trucks.
- Gives you more than 250 equipment options, such as earthmovers, generators, lifts, material handlers, and utility vehicles.
- Saves your agency money by utilizing GSA’s buying power and pre-negotiated rates to offer vehicles and equipment at the lowest possible cost.
- Saves you time because GSA handles all procurement requirements to quickly provide you with the resources you need to fulfill your mission. Plus, you’ll have only one point of contact for the entire hassle-free procurement.