Records Management Acquisition Planning Package
Government buyers can use this APP to develop and release a solicitation for Records Management. Leverage the instructional content below, along with the linked sample, template, and reference documents, to better understand the subcategory and obtain needed products, services, or solutions.
Acquisition Lifecycle Overview
Use the following overview to gain a high-level understanding of pre-solicitation lifecycle stages and quickly navigate to relevant resources
- Discovery: Learn about the current Records Management acquisition environment and review critical resources before beginning your acquisition
- Relevant documents: Buyer's Guides and other critical resources
- Requirements Definition: Document your needs and estimate associated costs to set the foundation for a successful acquisition
- Relevant documents: SOO, PWS, SOW, IGCE, Buying Tips / Tools
- Market Research and Planning: Inform your acquisition strategy by collecting information on the supply base, available contract vehicles, and key regulations
- Relevant documents: RFI, Sources Sought Notice, Market Research Report, MRAS Report, Policy and/or Guidance
- Solicitation Development: Develop solicitation documents to help clearly express your business requirements and invite private sector contractors to compete for your work
- Relevant documents: RFQ, RFP, Other Solicitation Resources and Templates
Learn about the current Records Management acquisition environment and review critical resources before beginning your acquisition
Records Management Acquisition Overview
- GSA is here to help! Visit gsa.gov/recordsmanagement and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org early in the process if you need support. Request immediate procurement support from your local Customer Service Director here.
- NARA’s Universal Electronic Records Management (ERM) Requirements. GSA incorporates the latest version via solicitation refreshes and corresponding modifications to existing MAS contracts; All contractors awarded contracts under GSA MAS SIN 518210ERM must select which of the ERM elements they are capable of providing and self-certify their understanding and ability to meet the associated requirements/standards for those elements. The completed certification is published on GSA eLibrary as part of their Terms & Conditions.
- Download the latest Universal Use Cases - The Universal Use Cases serve as a tool agencies can use when procuring services or solutions to manage electronic records. They can be used by agencies to demonstrate how vendors perform the described requirements and workflows. These are built directly off the Federal Business Lifecycle and Business Capabilities. They tell the “stories” of how to manage electronic records.
Gain a broad understanding of acquisitions in this subcategory using the resources below. Please note that certain resources are also listed within the other stages
High-impact reference documents that overview the subcategory across lifecycle stages
Document your needs and estimate associated costs to set the foundation for a successful acquisition
Key Considerations and Buying Notes
PRO TIP: Conducting a Needs Assessment as a first step to your electronic records management procurement process will help an agency avoid purchasing a solution that does not properly suit their unique situation or that will not efficiently manage their records. Download NARA’s sample Needs Assessment Statement of Objectives (SOO).
Use these samples and templates to develop a requirements document for your acquisition. If you expect your acquisition to exceed the simplified acquisition threshold, use the IGCE resources to develop a cost estimate to supplement your requirements document. Additional Buying Tips and Tools have also been provided to help inform requirements and estimate costs / pricing.
Statement of Objectives (SOO)
A requirements document that establishes the overarching objectives of the acquisition to allow contractors maximum flexibility in meeting government needs
Independent Government Cost Estimate (IGCE)
An assessment / estimate of the contract's potential costs based on industry standards. Please use this link to access GSA's standard IGCE creation tool
Buying Tips / Tools
Other documents that inform requirements, support cost / pricing definition, or provide insight into available products / services
Inform your acquisition strategy by collecting information on the supply base, available contract vehicles, and key regulations
Market Research as a Service Report (MRAS)
A type of market research report developed by GSA's internal Market Research as a Service (MRAS) offering. Please use this link to request a MRAS report
Policy and/or Guidance (P&G)
Various documents that provide additional context on specific vehicles or flag specific policies that buyers should be aware of when executing an acquisition. Buyers should also ensure they check their agency’s own internal policies and guidance
Develop solicitation documents to help clearly express your business requirements and invite private sector contractors to compete for your work
Key Considerations and Buying Notes
Once you have conducted market research and written your requirement, you can post your RFQ to GSA eBuy under the appropriate SINs. Below is a sample RFQ which includes the sample SOO above as an attachment.
Use the new Product Service Codes (PSCs) established in 2019 to properly report spending for records management in the Federal Procurement Data System (FPDS).
- R616 - Physical Records Management (SIN 493110RM)
- R617 - Electronic Records Management (SIN 518210ERM)
Use samples and templates to develop your own solicitation and request responses from contractors capable and interested in fulfilling the requirements. The formats below provide different ways to structure your solicitation depending on the complexity of your needs.
Request for Quotation (RFQ)
A solicitation type used to obtain pricing information for clearly defined products or services (e.g. COTS). RFQs are typically used to meet the business needs listed in a requirements document